Type 2 confused with blood sugar levels

James2

Dear All
sorry this is rather long
i have type two diabetes diagnosed about 8 weeks ago and on metformin and i have hypertension treated with meds
i heard about the Newcastle diet about low carb high fat diet on this site, so i decided to try this and take half my prescribed metformin(2 not 4)
prior to diet and medication my HbA1c was 90 and my blood sugars in was regularly 15 mmol .
prior to this diet i had a lot of carbs potatoes root veg and bread , i had cheese with everything and 20+ cups of tea .
5 weeks on Newcastle diets lost 2 stone (21 down to19) when i woke my blood sugars were 5 mmol rest of day 6 mmol and after soup 8.2 mmol ,also three days of intermittent fasting (spread through the week)with nothing to eat after 8pm and did not eat anything till 12 miday
then on 5th of November my beta blocker went haywire( up to then my b/p had been fine) i was taken to hospital as i passed out in a shop they put 4liters of saline through me as my kidneys were inflamed due to virus 9 weeks ago briefly went in to renal failure and spent a weekend on a heart monitor for my pulse which was in my boots to go back up. the hospital food was virtually all carb , breakfast all carb, dinner chicken veg and potatoes , tea and supper sandwiches with a tiny tiny sugar free pot of jelly

as my body had had a shock i thought it best to go on low carb high fat diet
so diet consists of lots of veg ,the odd carrot in a salad , match box size portion of cheese every other day (low fat or feta with a salad), almonds 6 a day and 4 Brazilian nuts , avocado with everything , chicken, salmon and sardines , every other morning the carbs i do have is 30 g portion of porridge which is 19 grames pf carbs. the only thing i did stuff up was i had a small portion of Stilton which i later found out was the worst cheese to have ,i don't eat after 8pm and don't snack

now my blood sugars are 9 mmol when i wake up and 10.5 after a meal. would i be right in believing this is due too been ill?if so i know this is like a piece of string how long before it goes down? what can i do from a diet point of view to bring it down?
i am on a intermittent fast today and see what my blood sugars are at midday
regards
James 2

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Jesus, what an ordeal you have been through....

I would almost certainly agree with your theory that your recent illness will have contributed to an increase in your BG, also going from a LCHF diet to then back on the carbs in hospital may have put everything out...

How long will it last, that would be different for everybody.....

If you just keep doing what your doing and take each day as it comes I am sure you will get the numbers back down to acceptable levels for you...

You could maybe consider another metformin but you would need to seek advice from the doctor before doing that...

Keep up the good work....;)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow. that is some rollercoaster you have been on for the last few weeks.

Sorry to say that with all that going on, in such a short time, with so many dietary changes, and illness, presumably antibiotics? etc. it would be impossible (even for a qualified medical professional, I would imagine) to pin down exactly which aspect is causing your raised blood glucose.

Some people find that their numbers drop quickly while adopting low carb, others find that they drift downwards over several weeks, and others find that theirs drop in step-like plateaus. It seems to depend on a lot of things, which can be unique to the individual.

Just a couple of questions though - what other meds are you on? Statins? Steroids? That kind of thing, because they have a well established history of sending blood glucose up.

About the only thing I can suggest is that you ease back, take things gently, stick with a non-extreme diet for a while (a few months) and see how things settle. I would choose low carb because it is what works for me, but you get to choose whatever you feel most comfortable doing.

It certainly looks as if your body needs some rest and recuperation to get over all the changes.