1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Confused with my nova rapid

Discussion in 'Type 1.5/LADA Diabetes' started by StaceyEmma, Jun 11, 2019.

1. StaceyEmma

StaceyEmma · Well-Known Member

High guys and girls.

So I’m about two months into my diagnosis now still producing a lot of my own insulin but was put on degludec and nova rapid.
    I take my degludec every morning around the same time. However I’m finding that my readings when testing pre mealtime I’m often on the lower side between 4 & 7 so don’t have my nova rapid unless it’s extremely carb heavy.
    Should I still be taking it or carry on doing what I’m doing at the moment?

2. MeiChanski

MeiChanski Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hello, what I will say is please get in contact with your team to explain it.
    Delgludec/ Tresiba is a background insulin, which keeps your BG steady in between meals, through the night and in periods where novorapid isn't on board. Without it, you'll run high since novorapid tapers off after 4hours. With novorapid, I use it for corrections when i'm running too high or for the carbs and some proteins that i'm about to eat or some snacks. I'm hoping you do see a dietitian to get more information on carbs - as time goes by and with experience, you'll learn about carb counting and ratios, which is what all type 1's are doing for meal times and snacks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It is a time when control and bsls can be pesky @StaceyEmma .
    The Degludec is reported to give a steadyish low background level of insulin but as you may have found does nit cope well with carby meals as @MeiChanski says.
    Speaking with your health team is important in this ohase of your journey is important to avoid hypers and hypos.
    Also you might ask your health team whether going very low carb us an option diet-wise as it may be the amount of carbs eaten that set off your panceas to release its insulin which is in high enough amount adds to the blood sugar chaos.
    Best Wishes:):):)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

It sounds like your Basal may be slightly too high but I can only guess. There is nothing wrong with reducing the NovoRapid if your BS is too low and you're not about to eat a lot; this will avoid a hypo. If you are carb-counting then you would already be aware of that. Do ask for advice from the DN about carb-counting and balancing the Basal.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. StaceyEmma

StaceyEmma · Well-Known Member

I’m in with the dr tomorrow so will ask her about it too. Trying to get hold of my DN is very hard but will keep trying

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook