Confused with my nova rapid

StaceyEmma

High guys and girls.

So I’m about two months into my diagnosis now still producing a lot of my own insulin but was put on degludec and nova rapid.
I take my degludec every morning around the same time. However I’m finding that my readings when testing pre mealtime I’m often on the lower side between 4 & 7 so don’t have my nova rapid unless it’s extremely carb heavy.
Should I still be taking it or carry on doing what I’m doing at the moment?

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, what I will say is please get in contact with your team to explain it.
Delgludec/ Tresiba is a background insulin, which keeps your BG steady in between meals, through the night and in periods where novorapid isn't on board. Without it, you'll run high since novorapid tapers off after 4hours. With novorapid, I use it for corrections when i'm running too high or for the carbs and some proteins that i'm about to eat or some snacks. I'm hoping you do see a dietitian to get more information on carbs - as time goes by and with experience, you'll learn about carb counting and ratios, which is what all type 1's are doing for meal times and snacks.

Reactions: StaceyEmma

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
It is a time when control and bsls can be pesky @StaceyEmma .
The Degludec is reported to give a steadyish low background level of insulin but as you may have found does nit cope well with carby meals as @MeiChanski says.
Speaking with your health team is important in this ohase of your journey is important to avoid hypers and hypos.
Also you might ask your health team whether going very low carb us an option diet-wise as it may be the amount of carbs eaten that set off your panceas to release its insulin which is in high enough amount adds to the blood sugar chaos.
Best Wishes:):):)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It sounds like your Basal may be slightly too high but I can only guess. There is nothing wrong with reducing the NovoRapid if your BS is too low and you're not about to eat a lot; this will avoid a hypo. If you are carb-counting then you would already be aware of that. Do ask for advice from the DN about carb-counting and balancing the Basal.

StaceyEmma

It sounds like your Basal may be slightly too high but I can only guess. There is nothing wrong with reducing the NovoRapid if your BS is too low and you're not about to eat a lot; this will avoid a hypo. If you are carb-counting then you would already be aware of that. Do ask for advice from the DN about carb-counting and balancing the Basal.

I’m in with the dr tomorrow so will ask her about it too. Trying to get hold of my DN is very hard but will keep trying

Reactions: kitedoc