Type 2 Confused

Brettskee

Had the libre 2 sensor in for a 4 days I’ve always run high blood sugars today the sensor went to 4.7 and my finger prick tester was at 19.9 I’ve never in 7 years been under 7 I did test if my sensor and finger prick were simalar readings on 1 st and 2 cnd day they were virtually the same . So I’ve tested my finger prick tester with another one I’ve got they both said 19.9 but still my sensor is about 5 which one is right as I’m a bit confused

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
So I’ve tested my finger prick tester with another one I’ve got they both said 19.9 but still my sensor is about 5 which one is right as I’m a bit confused

I would always believe my glucometer over a sensor I'm afraid. They can be faulty. (Assuming that you've done obvious stuff like washing your hands and checking the teat strips are in date.) In any case, sensors tend not to be that accurate once you go very high (or low) so need backup with a glucometer then.

If you ring Abbott they will should probably send you a new sensor.

Brettskee

Thanks Ellie M will ring the diabetes nurse tomorrow let them know wasn’t to sure how much insulin to take with those readings so I’m on the fence with these sensor things as could be dangerous if you relied on readings from them to tyrate your insulin thx again

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Brettskee Libre and CGM are fine for dosing insulin if you understand their limitations.
These limitations have been listed many times on this forum. But the one I think is most significant given your higher levels is that they’re calibrated to be most accurate between 4 and 9. Outside this range, it is advisable to always check with finger pricks before making any corrections.