Confused

sharonsw

Hi all
I've been here a while but haven't posted for a long time. I was diagnosed a year ago after a GTT came in at 12.5 (twice). This was a follow up after pregnancy and suggestion of annual GTT.

Anyway, following that I discovered my cholesterol levels are shot to pieces, one high, one low = **** ratio. But my HBA1c was 39 and fasting glucose 4.

The nurse and doctors advised that I am diabetic and that I should be taking metformin and statins. Me being me knows that with an HBA1c and glucose like the above I do not have blood sugar problems.

Anyway, a year on, not much has changed yet they're really pushing me to take the metformin saying it's there in the background. It's hereditary and the benefits of metformin in relation to preventing other illnesses (namely heart disease) mean that by taking it I'm giving myself a better chance.

I've lost weight (though had to stop running due to a back issue) though my BMI is still slightly over at 25.5 (I never get this as I wear size 10 jeans but hey ho! - and no I'm not just 4ft tall) They have this measuring tape that puts my waist in a red zone :crazy:

So, any thoughts on their thoughts regarding metformin. I still need to give my diet and lifestyle a big shake up. After reading lots of stuff on here I'm loathe to take the simvastin though this seems in more dire need than the metformin as my cholesterol is still rubbish. Today the HBA1c is now 40, fasting glucose still 4. The cholesterol ratio has reduced but still nowhere near where it should be.

Basically the doctor told me that as a diabetic the thing that will kill me is heart disease. The metformin will delay this :( Jolly soul he was.

Just pretty confused right now

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Hi Sharon

Congrats on the HbA1c!

That **** tape is a killer. I was recently so pleased to get back under a BMI of 25 (just) then I saw what Mr Tape still had to say...

I'm similar to you in that I have a good BG's score but I do take Metformin for exactly the reason your gp says namely its beneficial for your heart. If you are worrying about the side effects ask your doc to go straight onto the slow releases (SR) version as most people find that a lot better.

Likewise I'm a bit suspect over statins but over the last 18 months Simvastatin has undoubtedly reduced my cholesterol substantially. In my last test I got my numbers back to normal and have decided to review in another 3 months and may give up if I get another good result. In the end I decided to do the statin as I thought it less risk than dropping dead from heart failure.

Your doctor sounds quite like mine who also emphasised the risks of heart attacks and strokes as just as important as a low HbA1c. The risks of CVD are very high in UNCONTROLLED diabetics so for example a Danish study of 80 55 year old badly controlled T2's had 40 of them dead within 13 years and of course others were blind or had bits chopped off. Personally I don't see that a T2 who has good BG's, isn't horribly overweight, has good cholesterol and blood pressure will be any more likely to suffer CVD risks than an equivalent non diabetic.

Hope that helps

sharonsw

Thanks. It's nice to see someone else in a similar situation. My BP is also fine (she says like a teenager so it's a shame the rest of me isn't like that lol) I did lose a bit more weight so my BMI was fine but it's wavering around normal/overweight. The doctor also told me there wasn't much point in me testing as he didn't expect me to find many variances and spikes.

I think I've pretty much decided I'd rather take a medicine than risk shortening my life.

So with statins, once they're under control they can be stopped? That's good news.

Now to decide what sort of diet to follow (any suggestions). With 2 children in the house and a vegetarian husband I'm wondering if I'm going to need a bigger freezer for batch cooking. Oh joys.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Well I'm assuming they can be stopped to be honest haven't talked to the gp about that yet. I would like to think if you get good cholesterol levels you shouldn't need to take them anymore.

With an HbA1c of 39 you don't need a lot of advice! I just follow a low carb diet of around 60g / day. At that level of carbs I can beat you just :lol: For some really nice things to eat look at the Low Carb Recipes http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2856. A good beginners guide to low carb can be found here http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf