1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

confusion over 12 weeks or not 12 wweeks¬

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by DiabeticDi, Apr 10, 2020.

1. DiabeticDi

DiabeticDi Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Can anyone confirm definitively whether Type 1s have to stay in for 12 weeks? It is driving me mad. Initially I thought we WOULD be on the list but I didn't get a letter, then a few days ago I got a text from the govt telling me to stay in for 12 weeks and TODAY I get a text saying if you think we contacted you in error then please call your GP. Aaargh!

WHO decided who should be on the list? I just don't know what to do and we shouldn't be made to feel like this.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Pinkorchid

Pinkorchid Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yes my T1 son was told in the letter he had nearly 3 weeks ago he had to isolate for 12 weeks. I do not know if that has changed

3. Pinkorchid

Pinkorchid Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I thought at the present time we are all supposed to be in isolation until further notice except those who are still having to work in key jobs.

4. mooshk

mooshk Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It's infuriating isn't it! I've had exactly the same as you, no letter but two texts and supermarket slots. I'm so confused. Spoke to the GP surgery and they had no idea either, said they "just don't know". I'm still going on a daily 20 minute walk until I'm told otherwise

5. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Expert

The guidance for all diabetics (unless you have other health issues that put you in the "highly vulnerable" category) is to maintain stringent social distancing and follow the rules set for the whole population.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Colin Crowhurst

Colin Crowhurst Type 1 · Well-Known Member

we had a phone in with a GP on our local bbc radio station and the information she gave was actually FAIRLY clear....

Doesn't depend on type; if your latest hbA1C was OVER 75 then you are at risk and on the list.

Only other caveat is that "other medical problems" may ALSO add you to the list irrespective of Hb result!

Hope this helps

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. mooshk

Yeah mine's very high, as a diabulimic,still haven't had any further contact

8. searley

searley Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It’s quite simple really if you received a letter or txt from your gp to isolate then you should if not you shouldn’t

If you think you have worse conditions than T1 or are very poorly controlled (hba1c over 79) then contact your gp and see if they think you should isolate if the think you should you will get an isolation text or letter

9. mooshk

I don't think it is quite simple, we've received a text message asking us to confirm with GP, spoken to GP and they state they do not know themselves if we should stay inside for 12 weeks. Certain medical conditions causing higher hbaics but still no letter. This seems a similar situation for the OP also.

Not what I'd call simple.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. kev-w

kev-w Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Could you call the diabetic clinic you use and ask a dsn to have a look at your medical records and advise you accordingly if you explain the message telling you to confirm with your GP?

• Like Like x 2
  11. mooshk

Unfortunately I'm looked after by Kings College London and they stated they're too overrun to be dealing with admin at the current moment. I'm not too worried honestly, until I get any further information I'm happy to continue. It's just frustrating to be left in limbo, like the OP said really. That is for the help though :)

12. mooshk

Hey thanks but unfortunately mine is Kings College and they're not dealing with admin issues (their statement) currently. I'm all okay though, thank you for the advice :). Just frustrating, like OP said

• Like Like x 1
  13. DiabeticDi

HI, oh I'm glad I'm not the only one! I have been going to the supermarket for the last 3 weeks but since this text I have stopped doing that but still go for walks, which I will still do. It's awful that they are messing with our heads like this, why do GPs not have any idea? I will see if I receive a food parcel because my neighbour is a 12 weeker and he got one yesterday. If you find out anything would you be so kind as to let me know? Thanks!

Edited by moderator for clarity

• Like Like x 2
    #13 DiabeticDi, Apr 10, 2020 at 8:45 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2020
  14. DiabeticDi

Thank you :)

#14 DiabeticDi, Apr 10, 2020 at 8:50 PM
  15. DiabeticDi

Hi, not exactly. Everyone is supposed to stay inside yes and practise social distancing when we go out for essential food or exercise, but some people are on a high risk list, those who have certain conditions, and they have to literally stay inside for 12 weeks.

edited by moderator for clarity

#15 DiabeticDi, Apr 10, 2020 at 8:52 PM
  16. DiabeticDi

My hba1c is not over 75 but I also suffer from high bp and cholesterol, underactive thyroid so perhaps all added up it makes me go on the list. Which is ok, it's just the confusion of it all that is getting me. 3 weeks after the initial people contacted, I receive a text. Then another saying if you think you were contacted in error..... GPS have no idea it seems, so who is DECIDING who is on this list. This should be clear, not playing around with people's health.

#16 DiabeticDi, Apr 10, 2020 at 8:59 PM
  17. Hopeful34

Hopeful34 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

The food parcel is only for those who have no other way of getting food supplies, so no family or friends who will get it for you, and no local shops who will deliver. It seems to be similar to the one Morrisons are doing for £30, basically staple food like pasta, bread, milk, fruit, veg, tins, meat, but each one could vary a bit, so you don't know exactly what you will get, but you are asked if you have any allergies to any food.

18. mooshk

Will definitely post on here if I get an update :), it's such a mess isn't it! Keep well x

19. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi there, no, not 'isolation' but practicing social distancing, two different things, one means not going out AT ALL, the other means only going out for an essential reason such as shopping, exercise, and to work IF it's not possible to work from home, etc. x

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. scorpius14

scorpius14 Type 1 · Active Member

Just received one such letter from my gp practice, headlined as "important advice to keep you safe from coronavirus" with paragraphs of info but most importantly has included the statement: "The NHS has identified you, or the named person you care for, as someone at risk of severe illness if you catch Coronavirus", which insists i remain at home otherwise risk being admitted to hospital because i'm at a higher risk than others. Instinctively I would assume they have access to my medical records from the past few months and correlate the risk between infection and my bg control which admittedly is not the best.

However my place as a key worker is to provide services to everyone else thus requires me to leave the house and go to work, but looking on the bright side, my occupation does not require as much social interaction as say an NHS worker and my place of work has adequate restrictions in place to prevent any infection from spreading.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook