Congratulations you are no longer diabetic .. really?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I wouldnt be happy either. It takes a lot of focus and effort to get BG levels downwards as I am finding out. It is not fair that a surgery can be so flippant about it. I wonder if that is the NHS approved term or do other surgeries put “resolved” “reversed” “remission” etc. I wonder if any doctors on here can enlighten us. I think the fairest term would be “controlled by patients efforts”. Just my opinion
All drs expect the patient to make the effort. That's when meds get involved when diet isn't enough to control high bgs.
Otherwise noted as non-compliant.

Reactions: dbr10

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you get your yearly diabetic reviews?
I was only a diagnosed diabetic for 80 days, not counting the 10 days the doctor delayed telling me about the results of the test done the previous week. My Hba1c was then 47, so perhaps I no longer qualify for an annual review.
I have read that everyone over 40 years old should have an annual 'MOT' test - but we do not get those, but this area does have a lot of older people, so perhaps there are not the resources to do anything but the absolute minimum.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I was only a diagnosed diabetic for 80 days, not counting the 10 days the doctor delayed telling me about the results of the test done the previous week. My Hba1c was then 47, so perhaps I no longer qualify for an annual review.
I have read that everyone over 40 years old should have an annual 'MOT' test - but we do not get those, but this area does have a lot of older people, so perhaps there are not the resources to do anything but the absolute minimum.
My hba1c of 48 delighted my endo but didn't last as I had to be so intense and it made me ill.
Mental health is important too.

Can you change drs to a less elderly catchment? Worth your while.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I shall discuss this with him at my next appointment!

Mine says “Resolved” although they want to prescribe me 500mg of Metformin a day to guard against it coming back one day.

I’m not really sure they have much of a clue. Fortunately this last conversation was on the phone so the GP couldn’t see my expression

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine says “Resolved” although they want to prescribe me 500mg of Metformin a day to guard against it coming back one day.

I’m not really sure they have much of a clue. Fortunately this last conversation was on the phone so the GP couldn’t see my expression

Just make sure you still get annual monitoring and the retinal eye screening. Apparently the "resolved" code can stop the triggers for these to happen.

Copied from GP-Update Handbook 2017/2018

Diabetes that ‘goes away’

Some people, given the diagnosis of diabetes, radically change their lifestyle, lose weight and their HbA1c drops out of the diabetic range. What do you do? There is little guidance on this, but bear the following in mind:
• They are at high risk of ‘relapsing’ and becoming diabetic again – in our practice we do an annual HbA1c to look for this (and BP, cholesterol, etc.).
• They continue to need retinal screening. In order to ensure they are called for this use the code ‘Diabetes in remission’ (C10P) NOT ‘Diabetes resolved’ (212H) as this latter code doesn’t trigger recall. Do note that ‘Diabetes in remission’ does NOT exempt them from QOF – but should they not be getting QOF-style care anyway? (National Diabetes Retinal Screening Programme, 2014).

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Metformin is now being used to prevent type2 in people who are at high risk, with your A1c increasing from 22 to 26 I can see where the doctor is coming from.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My hba1c of 48 delighted my endo but didn't last as I had to be so intense and it made me ill.
Mental health is important too.

Can you change drs to a less elderly catchment? Worth your while.
The whole area is awash with elderly folk who have retired down here - I always feel a lot older when I travel ten miles inland and suddenly the demographic changes to much younger people. It wouldn't be a sensible option to move to another practice near enough to visit, as they are all in the same state with far more elderly patients then young ones.