Constant high blood sugar over last few days - any advice?

Wullie

Yes, it's late :)

I'm up because I had to lie down earlier, and fell asleep. Since Thursday night, all my BGs have been at 10+. Some as high as 18.

I don't feel ill (apart from the high BG signs) and I've taken corrective doses, changed my insulin vials, done light cardio exercise and they just won't go down.

I've been having great BG readings since switching to low carb 18 months ago. Haven't changed the diet so I'm at a bit of a loss.

I'm just itching all over too. I want to get into work tomorrow so any advice would be appreciated. Otherwise, I'll be correcting every two hours :-(

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had similar problems over a 48+ hour period last week.
I did all the usual things; new cartridges, changed injection sites, more exercise, increased my dosages (by about 50% at one stage, which was frightening) but it only made small differences. Wondered if I was coming down with something, but there were no other signs.
I have a CGM & would see it start to fall, breathe a sigh of relief only to see it climbing again wihin the hour. I seemed to be stuck at around 13 to 15.

As luck would have it I collected a new prescription on the third day & changed both my Lantus & Humalog to cartridges from the new boxes. It might have been better to change them one at a time to work out which was at fault, but I was getting desperate! My theory is that the Lantus was dodgy but I'd have to go back to the old box to prove it.

This is a very frustrating disease.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hi, also if u are itching..do u have a virus /infection brewing?

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Hi Wullie, could be a few things really. There is a possibility you are coming down with something but you don't have the symptoms yet ( body might be holding it at bay for now ). Could also be you may be developing some insulin resistance ? It's not uncommon for ratio's to change. I am unaware if you carb count but if you do, you may have always been 1unit for every 10g of carbs. This could well have changed to 2units for every 15g. That is just an example. Lastly, could be your basal needs adjusting for similar reasons. I would keep a detailed food/BG/carb/insulin diary for a week or so and you may see a pattern develop.

Wullie

Thanks to you all for your replies. I was 6.5 this morning which cheered me up considerably. Had a couple of hard boiled eggs and now showing as 4.6 before lunch. :)

So whatever it was, it seems to have passed. I think it might've been a wee virus that did it. **** viruses/virii!

Mo my carb ratio is quite high - I take 1 unit for every 4g. I can hear you all gasping already but it's just the way it works for me after testing for a long period.

Again, really appreciate the replies here. Stay well, everyone.

Reactions: 2 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Good news Wullie ! I've never had a wee virus fortunately ;-)