Constant hunger

Abby's

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I keep wanting to eat all the time and I am not sure if it is because of the insulin. Does anyone know how to suppress your appetite? Any tablets?

B583

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
MARMITE!!
I'm similar to thinking of foods most of the time!! Insulin can make you hungry anyway!! Have you tried distracting yourself, doing something else outside away from temptation? Exercise, shopping or being with friends for coffee/chat?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I keep wanting to eat all the time and I am not sure if it is because of the insulin. Does anyone know how to suppress your appetite? Any tablets?

I don't feel hunger unless I go low. When I was first diagnosed I did though. I'm not sure if it was psychological or being on fixed doses of insulin.

I tend to eat regularly, including snacks, and I find that helps :)

Edited to add - as well as keeping my sugars in range

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is it hunger when you are hypo/hyper. If when your low, that could be because too much insulin. If when you're high, too little, your body is not getting the energy from the food you've eaten.

If it's hunger when you have normal blood sugar, it's probably nothing to do with insulin/diabetes and youre just hungry. Find something satisfying and healthy to eat.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Although, being diabetic does make you think about food a lot more, which will just make you hungry!

Reactions: 4 people

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Did you recently start insulin?
When I first started I was hungry all the time but I had lost lots of needed weight so I think my body was just nourishing itself after being undernourished.

As others have said going low will cause hunger. It doesn't need to be hypo low, just heading down. It like the body senses too much insulin and kicks in hunger so we eat and stop it

PG1759

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm pretty sure I was the same when I first went on insulin and I'm almost certain one of the main causes is dosage being too high. Might be worth checking your Basal ?

Chandradev819

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When glucose level is not in expected range then we will get this symptoms. I was also getting this symptoms when I was admitted in hospital.