Constant Hypos Despite Miniscule Insulin Doses

saraheffy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have recently started running to try to improve my bg levels and general fitness, but consistently have hypos despite drastically reducing my insulin intake.

Usually I would take 13 units levemir twice daily, and 5-7 units NovoRapid with each meal.

Now I am exercising for half an hour roughly every two days, and take 7 units of Levemir twice daily and no NovoRapid at all, but my blood sugar is consistently too low.

For example, yesterday my blood sugar was 3.8 just two hours after eating lunch (I didn't take any insulin with my food), and it was 2.9 when I woke up this morning - bg levels that are this low, especially when I'm sleeping, are really worrying.

I eat low-GI foods - generally porridge and fruit for breakfast, and lots of vegetables for the rest of my meals. I regularly snack on fruit throughout the day.

I do not want to reduce my insulin intake further, because I'm afraid that taking too little insulin could make me feel as unwell as I used to before I was diagnosed.

Does anybody have any advice about what I can do?

Thanks,

Sarah

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
There's nothing wrong with reducing insulin further to prevent hypo's. That's the obvious solution. The only time you will feel ill is BG levels too low or too high, not the amount of insulin you take.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 3 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
As Mo says just reduce your insulin further until your hypo's stop, start with some basal testing first then look at your insulin to carb ratio's.

Reactions: 2 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
both useful replies above, but please also remember that increasing exercise will improve your insulin sensitivity anyway and that can last for a considerable period, up to 2-48 hours, which is why consistent exercise helps with more stable blood sugars.

As Noblehead says it is very much worth doing some basal tests as with the new regime you may well find that a lower level is needed.

I'm about to enter a new phase of my training with increasingly long Sunday runs. I'm fully expecting to need to adjust basal rates during this period.

Reactions: 2 people

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have recently started running to try to improve my bg levels and general fitness, but consistently have hypos despite drastically reducing my insulin intake.

Usually I would take 13 units levemir twice daily, and 5-7 units NovoRapid with each meal.

Now I am exercising for half an hour roughly every two days, and take 7 units of Levemir twice daily and no NovoRapid at all, but my blood sugar is consistently too low.

For example, yesterday my blood sugar was 3.8 just two hours after eating lunch (I didn't take any insulin with my food), and it was 2.9 when I woke up this morning - bg levels that are this low, especially when I'm sleeping, are really worrying.

I eat low-GI foods - generally porridge and fruit for breakfast, and lots of vegetables for the rest of my meals. I regularly snack on fruit throughout the day.

I do not want to reduce my insulin intake further, because I'm afraid that taking too little insulin could make me feel as unwell as I used to before I was diagnosed.

Does anybody have any advice about what I can do?

Thanks,

Sarah

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi there,
Congratulations on beginning your exercise regime! I couldn't see - do you have Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes?
If you have type 1, then you can reduce your basal as much as 80% when you exercise. If you are Type 2, it could be your insulin sensitivity is improving to such an extent that you need to re-think your entire insulin regime.
If you don't get a handle on it, it might be worth having a chat with a healthcare professional - you overnight hypos look nasty.

Have you considered having an insulin pump? Exercise and insulin injections are much harder to manage than insulin infusion..... just a thought.