Constant Lows :(

Erin85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know this is the opposite problem from what a lot of t1 pregnant women experience, and I should try and make the most of the lows, but it's really getting me down!

I'm 11 weeks pregnant and recently had to reduce, then eliminate, my background insulin (Levemir, once a day). My consultant and DSN have been really supportive and helped me work out new ratios for each meal. I bolus 30mins before breakfast, with a spike that is usually in target, but then need to have 20-30g carbs snack mid-morning to avoid hypoing. Some days this fills me, and I don't want lunch, so have a small snack mid afternoon (again, without insulin) before dinner. I have then hypo'ed by dinnertime. Sometimes as low as 2.3! How is this even possible? I don't have any background insulin on board, and last fast acting insulin was 30mins before breakfast! I was told last week that I am still honeymooning (14 months after diagnosis), but I just can't accept that as an answer - I don't understand how my own insulin would make me hypo?

I have had 3 hypo-free days in the last month, sometimes having up to 3 hypos a day. It makes me tired and snappy (can't blame it all on the pregnancy lol!) and like a bit of a failure. I'm trying so hard, but don't feel like I'm getting anywhere.

My DSN advised me today to drop all insulin, but my breakfast dose. Here's hoping it gets easier...sorry for the boring rant x x

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had what felt like a continuous hypo in early pregnancy. I sometimes spent the whole morning at work eating sweets and was still low. I could also eat a snack and not need to bolus. It's very common in the first half of pregnancy but should go away anywhere from 16 to 25+ weeks as the insulin resistance kicks in.

Watch out for nighttime hypos. I had lots of those at that stage of pregnancy so always set an alarm to test.

I chose carby but not too dense snacks so that I didn't have to miss meals - so biscuits, chocolate wafers, bananas, dried fruit, etc

Enjoy it while it lasts and keep those hypo treatments near!

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
sorry.no advice from me as no knowledge of pregnancy
but you are definitely not a failure -- you are doing your best to control this D whilst nurturing a new life

i call that a success !!

courtenayjane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In my first trimester, I felt like all I did was eat. Some days I was hypo all day. It is really common in the first trimester and will pick up once you are past 14 weeks or so. Just trust that it will sort itself out soon x

Reactions: 4 people

Erin85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks guys, just so frustrating hypoing over 9 hrs after I last bolused! Thanks himtoo :) down to 2 hypos a day, really hope this gets easier, so over diabetes x x

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was exactly the same as you at the beginning of my pregnancy. And the more hypo I went, the worse my morning sickness got and it was an ongoing circle.
It doesn't last though my bloods seemed to change overnight and suddenly I was taking double (now triple) the insulin I was on pre pregnancy.
It's because your body is using so much energy creating a new life!
You're certainly not a failure, although I understand why you feel that way too. I do as well when my bloods aren't behaving.
As mentioned above, keep an eye out for night time hypos and test more during the day to try to avoid the hypos happening in the first place.
I lived off lucozade sports drinks (no caffeine, lots of sugar!) up until about 20 weeks and still get through 1 or 2 a day now (32 weeks)

All the best and congratulations!

Claire x

Reactions: 3 people

Postitnote

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
At the moment... artex ceilings. Also the concrete patio.
Apologies for not starting a new thread and for highjacking this - I just wanted to put a few words down as a sort of "therapy" for myself! I am only just 6 weeks pregnant (hurrah!) and have had at least one hypo a day for the last two weeks. I am sick and tired of them. Frustrated too - I am adjusting my food, exercise, my doses... some things work one day, and then not the next day.

There is no pattern. I thought I might cry last night as I was 2.9 before bed, despite having enjoyed a rather hefty dinner: a portion of roast chicken, broccoli, roast potatoes, cranberry juice (M&S are doing a "no added sugar" version, 2.8g carb per 250ml!!!) and a few squares of dark chocolate.

I am aware that my insulin requirements are likely to go through the roof in the 2nd and 3rd trimester, but at the moment, I am exhausted with just how unpredictable things are! :( I have spoken to my DSN and I am working with her to head off the lows but, to repeat the above, nothing seems to make sense.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Congratulations @Postitnote :)

I liked to think of it as another 'operating system' which I couldn't see but which was linked to me and affecting my blood sugar. So I didn't really try to work it out (apart from keeping my blood sugars in range, obviously) - I just saw any strangeness as a good thing because it meant my baby was growing and my pregnancy was progressing, along with the necessary hormones changes.

I don't know if that helps you, but I found it a good way to be positive. I also made a little hypo box full of a variety of treats like little packets of sweets, etc, and this made my focus more positive. I also kept Lucozade nearby and got used to having a few swigs if I went a bit low.

I also bought some nice treats to have as snacks if my blood sugar needed topping up. They were good to have after a meal if my post meal check was lower than I wanted.

To be honest, the hypos reminded me of what it was like not having diabetes - being able to eat a square of posh fudge or two and not go madly high. It was a novel experience. The only time the hypos worried me were at night because obviously they can creep up on you then. I dealt with those by testing once or more at night.

Test, test and test - and keep lots of treatments and food nearby. I didn't find any 'magic answer' for getting rid of the hypos, apart from resting, which I was doing anyway, but I did get used to spotting the drop early by testing, and then doing a top up of food.

Hope that helps a little xx

Reactions: 2 people

Postitnote

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
At the moment... artex ceilings. Also the concrete patio.
Thanks Azure; that's reassuring. Yes, I like the thought that it's a sign that baby is growing! I "celebrated" one of yesterday's hypos with a Snickers bar (felt guilty immediately afterwards but everything seemed fine!). My finger tips are suffering though!

Erin85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the advice @claire1991 , I hadn't even considered the added caffeine in Lucozade! :facepalm: I'll have to get some sports-versions bought in. If I'm high 2/ in the 3's, I've started eating green grapes as hypo treatment, as I'm thinking this has to be more nutritious for both myself and baby! If I'm not picking up fast enough, I'm resorting to fruity sweeties or Lucozade. I have been really down about it all the last few days, especially as post-meals I tend to spike then drop by next meal point - luckily no night hypos though. We had our 12week scan yesterday and baby was measuring 11w 6d (exactly as we had calculated :)) and sonographer said growth and development looks fine, which has really put my mind at ease. I've also not tested higher than 0.1 for ketones during my pregnancy yet, so taking that as a good sign for baby!

@Postitnote , I really empathise with you, I'm really struggling too and feel like I'm banging my head against the wall. Have taken a proper hatred towards Diabetes this week (not that we were ever BFF's lol), but trying to be more positive. I hope your hypo's ease up, and your pregnancy is treating you well. Take care x x

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
All good news then!
I've struggled all the way through with my diabetes to be honest. Just don't let it beat you!
Apples are a good choice as well as fruit juices such as orange juice and apple juice, I found that the more my pregnancy progressed the more treatment I needed for my hypos because they were lasting longer.
I was really poorly yesterday and was hypo pretty much all day, the highest I could get my bloods to go up to was 4mmol because everything I ate/drank came straight back out again! I even had to take my pump off.
Hang on in there, it's tough but it's not forever.

Here if you need anything :)

Claire x

Erin85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just read and commented on your post @claire1991 ! You really did have a rough day yesterday! I think I'll invest in some fruit juices too (is one thing I really miss since diagnosis). You are right, it's not forever, I just worry about effects on baby (the spikes, I know the baby isn't harmed by the lows). How far on are you? Hope you've managed to rest up today and restore some of your energy - us mamas-to-be need it! :dummy1: x x

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No worries :)

Yeah, I don't really want a repeat of yesterday any time soon! It wouldn't be so bad if I knew what caused it but it just happens from time to time!
I'm 33 weeks today so starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
I worried a lot about how it was affecting the baby too but as far as I'm aware it's big and healthy and it's only me that's suffered which I'm pleased about.
I'm at the stage now where I'm having scans every two weeks so that's nice. Everything seems to be fine as far as the baby is concerned. I've got excess fluid in my uterus due to higher blood sugars (still with a hba1c of below 7.1!) so that's a concern but again, as far as I'm aware it's only me it's affecting not the baby.
Very much looking forward to the end now!

I don't know about you but my morning sickness was awful. I'm still taking tablets for it now!

Feeling very rested and relaxed today so that's good!

Hope your bloods are behaving xx