Type 1 Constantly tired and blood sugar levels out of sync

grovesys

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning,

Has anyone else had any issue with being tired all of the time? My blood sugar levels are up and down like a rollercoaster lately and I don't know why. My diet is good, my exercise pattern is good, I work full time but lately I am just exhausted. I don't just mean tired, I literally am struggling to concentrate sometimes, I have no get up and go and even the simplest tasks take a great deal of motivation and effort to complete. I have been a diabetic 26 years so this isn't me finding my feet, I just don't know why I am feeling like I am feeling.

I used to cycle, I used to trek, I used to wild camp, I used to swim, I ran, nowadays I can't even face it because of how tired I feel.

Some mornings I can wake up and my blood could be 3, I have a cup of coffee and test my blood half an hour later and it's 11. Why would it jump so much from a cup of coffee (no sugar)? I have a meal, test my blood after and I'm in the 20's! I seem to be running high more often than I should and my insulin doesn't feel like it's doing what it should.

It's not as if I need to figure out carb counting and insulin amounts, I've done it for so many years, now it just feels like everything I learned doesn't work anymore. I have gone from having good control to everything being out of sync, yet my lifestyle hasn't changed at all.

As a child/young adult my blood was always around 6, it was great, nowadays I'd say my average is probably 14 and I'm high (17+) when I test randomly during the day which results in more insulin taking and exercise. I'm worried about the damage it is causing.

Anyone got any ideas?

Many thanks!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Have you been tested for Thyroid issues @grovesys? Your symptoms sound exactly like Hypothyroidism.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Morning @grovesys, Can I ask do you record your tests? also what do you mean by 'good diet' ?

Also agree with Tim, While there why not get a full blood check B12 included and have you ever been checked for Coeliac?

grovesys

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning @grovesys, Can I ask do you record your tests? also what do you mean by 'good diet' ?

Also agree with Tim, While there why not get a full blood check B12 included and have you ever been checked for Coeliac?
Morning Engineer88,

I don't physically write them down in a book, they are recorded on my Contour tester though and I can view them when I plug it in to my laptop. As for good diet, I don't have a sweet tooth and never have, I'm much more of a starter and main course person than having a main and a pudding. I don't own a deep fat fryer, I rarely eat chips, I don't snack, I eat fruit, I boil my sausages before grilling etc, I basically just try to have a good all round diet. I don't eat foods that are fast acting unless I'm low. My only downfall is cheese but that doesn't count. Just googled Coeliac and wish I hadn't, can I ask what made you ask if I have been checked for it?

Regards

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Morning Engineer88,

I don't physically write them down in a book, they are recorded on my Contour tester though and I can view them when I plug it in to my laptop. As for good diet, I don't have a sweet tooth and never have, I'm much more of a starter and main course person than having a main and a pudding. I don't own a deep fat fryer, I rarely eat chips, I don't snack, I eat fruit, I boil my sausages before grilling etc, I basically just try to have a good all round diet. I don't eat foods that are fast acting unless I'm low. My only downfall is cheese but that doesn't count. Just googled Coeliac and wish I hadn't, can I ask what made you ask if I have been checked for it?

Regards

Its a very common link I'm afraid, I have both and a number of others on the site have both too. Its not as bad as you would think being gluten free and if needed you could feel a million times better within a short space of time.

The number of symptoms of coeliac are astonishing but tiredness is a major pointer to me. I was also diagnosed after i wasn't able to absorb carbs properly any more leading to roller-coaster bg. I'm not saying you do have it, I'm just saying a check wouldnt hurt.

The other thing I would suggest even if temporary is lowering carbs overall and reducing insulin to match, I find less swings make me feel much better.

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @grovesys I know you're not recently diagnosed so know to change insulin etc but have you actually basal tested? I've been diabetic about as long as you but had never heard of that till I'd came on this site

I'm not surprised you feel so tired with such big swings in blood sugar readings, has anything changed recently? Stressed etc?

Abbie

grovesys

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @grovesys I know you're not recently diagnosed so know to change insulin etc but have you actually basal tested? I've been diabetic about as long as you but had never heard of that till I'd came on this site

I'm not surprised you feel so tired with such big swings in blood sugar readings, has anything changed recently? Stressed etc?

Abbie
Hi Abbie,

No I haven't recently but I think it will be worth a shot to see if I can determine whats happening. I don't think I'm stressed, nothing that I can't cope with anyway. It just feels like nowadays I have to really motivate myself to get the simplest of things done, but I never used to be like that. In 2010 I cycled 1000 miles for charity in 10 consecutive days and loved it. There's no way I could do that with how I feel lately. It's like my get up and go has got up and well and truly gone..

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think it's definitely worth seeing the doc about the tests suggested above, and you could do a basal test just to check that out too so it's at least something that can be ruled out. It must be really frustrating when you have previously been so active! Good luck :)

Reactions: 2 people