Constipation connection to diabetes

Tyc

Hello all! I just joined the forum ! Is there a connection between sudden onset constipation and type 2 diabetes - been diabetic since 11 years old and have lots of complications but this was not one of them. I am looking for connection and explanation - does anyone know anything about this please? I am driven to despair. Thank you all !

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all! I just joined the forum ! Is there a connection between sudden onset constipation and type 2 diabetes - been diabetic since 11 years old and have lots of complications but this was not one of them. I am looking for connection and explanation - does anyone know anything about this please? I am driven to despair. Thank you all !
Hi there

sorry to hear you are having difficulties.

First off, are you on any drugs at all?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @Tyc and welcome to the forums.

I'm so sorry that you are having difficulties.

Have you spoken to your GP or diabetic clinic about this? (Am guessing, quite possibly incorrectly, that if you've been diabetic since you were 11 and are 60 now you are probably T1 on insulin??? You mention T2 in your opening post though, so I'm confused)

I agree with @Andydragon 's question about medication, because quite a few medications (not just for diabetes) can cause constipation as a side effect.

I find that as I get older there are all too many non diabetic reasons for me to talk to my GP..... I would urge you to talk to yours.