1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Constipation help

Discussion in 'Other Health Conditions and Diabetes' started by nicbarnett, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Arsenal79

Arsenal79 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Been having bad constipation for the past couple of weeks finding it hard to get things moving literally it's no fun when you can't go without bursting a vein or dropping a lung so to speak

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

You could try a magnesium supplement something like magnesium citrate.. keeps me regular..

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

Have you changed your diet recently? I had this problem when I was on a high protein diet. I found Dulcoease helped a little, but I had to stop the diet immediately.

• Like Like x 2
    #63 zand, Mar 23, 2017 at 2:42 PM
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  4. Chook

Chook Type 2 · Expert

Psyllium husk (as mentioned before on this thread) is gentle and works effectively.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Liam1955

Liam1955 Type 2 · Master

@Arsenal79 - Or you could try 1 capsule before bed of Dulcoease which is a stool softener. (Available without a prescription from Savers, Superdrug and all Chemists).

• Like Like x 1
  6. Arsenal79

Yes I went from high carb to lchf diet and from then on I can't seem to go to toilet wothout forcing it out I exercise daily hour a day and joined my local leisure center doing circuit training I drink plenty of water has when it comes out the other end it's clear has it went in

7. Arsenal79

Thanks all will give these a go

• Like Like x 1
  8. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

Well I would add plenty of veggies as fibre and the psyllium husk idea is a good one too. Also check you haven't increased your protein too much and are you having enough fat? I went through agony with this problem so I sympathise with you. I am an LCHFer myself but if you are in so much pain I would be tempted to add back a few carbs until the problem has eased and then cut down on carbs again more slowly. It could be that your gut will take longer than most to get used to dietary changes.

The diet I had a problem with was the Dukan Diet. I only did 2 separate spells of about a week on it and suffered badly for many months afterwards. Please don't suffer for too long, go to your GP if the problem persists.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Chook

Chook Type 2 · Expert

Yes, I suffered badly on the Dukan diet for the same reason - and those little bran pancake thingies they tell you to eat didn't help one bit.

In this house it's either psyllium husk or a meal that involves little meat, a triple helping of Brussels sprouts and a mound of stewed rhubarb for dessert.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Speedbird

Speedbird Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Olive oil on everything. Good for you too. Good luck. X

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

You could also try supporting a different footie team ;) The past couple of months haven't been that easy for us gooners generally. :rolleyes::banghead:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. connie104

connie104 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Haha no constipation here as we are Chelsea supporters!!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Chook

Chook Type 2 · Expert

Mr Chook is Gooner too and he's defining not constipated. He used to have that problem but he swears by (at) lots of veg and Lidl high protein rolls.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

yes the Lidl rolls are good...that's why I have them on match days :woot:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Chook

Chook Type 2 · Expert

Ah! You've found their secondary use - how to clear a room in 30 seconds (then blame the dog). :)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook