Constipation

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
I have had irritable bowel syndrome all my adult life and have never had constipation.
I have been on a LCHF diet for a year and in the last three months I have had bouts of constipation. I had a colonoscopy in June which was completely clear, so I very much doubt it is bowel cancer. I drink a lot, (non- alcoholic) and eat a lot of plant roughage, but I am wondering if I am getting enough roughage. I have read that whole grain cereals are the best source of roughage for bowel health. Any thoughts please?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Quite a lot of controversy about fibre at the moment.. including those that say we don't need any at all. Some quite interesting results from this trial

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use chia seeds, konjac noodles /rice, psyllium husk powder & ground flaxseeds as good sources of soluble fibre. - All v low carb so todays scores on the doors are 39g fibre and 38g carbs

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I use chia seeds, konjac noodles /rice, psyllium husk powder & ground flaxseeds as good sources of soluble fibre. - All v low carb so todays scores on the doors are 39g fibre and 38g carbs
Thanks. I too eat chia and flax. Maybe i need to eat more.

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Quite a lot of controversy about fibre at the moment.. including those that say we don't need any at all. Some quite interesting results from this trial
Thanks. I take a look at the video. I'm sure it's only time before they declare that fibre causes bowel cancer;)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Wholegrain cereals will do you absolutely no favours, for your Diabetes or for your constipation.
Have you thought of doing an elimination diet?

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can get that way when I'm not getting enough sodium to go along with the amount of water I drink.

Reactions: Ponchu

VioletViolet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Just doing that forum thing where you bounce around different links. Yet another thing to make me go whaaattt!!! First it was the carb is good fat is bad nonsense and now I discover there was no evidence for the 80s onwards fibre era??? Is that why IBS seemed to spring up around this time too?

Yellredder

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had IBS for about 25 years - too much fibre and I get bunged up!

Ponchu

I can get that way when I'm not getting enough sodium to go along with the amount of water I drink.

Hashtag me too.

I get heartburn a bit if I drink too much water and dilute acids.

How do you get higher sodium level?

Ponchu

I’ve been using “Real Salt” and pink Himalayan and been much more generous with guilt free amounts.

I’ve started having some sparking mineral water too.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you just tend to drink loads of creamy coffees and have one meal a day?
I have 1 tablespoon of double cream in my coffee (large mug 400 ml triple shot americano)and have 4-5 a day .. sometimes just one meal sometimes two. Will also have a couple of cups of tea with lactofree milk without the salt. I also salt all my food.

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hashtag me too.

I get heartburn a bit if I drink too much water and dilute acids.

How do you get higher sodium level?
Largely by adding a generous pinch to my coffees & salting my food. I have to make more of an effort in summer as I drink more water so I've been known to just take a pinch from the bowl & dissolve it on the tongue.

Reactions: Ponchu

VioletViolet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have 1 tablespoon of double cream in my coffee (large mug 400 ml triple shot americano)and have 4-5 a day .. sometimes just one meal sometimes two. Will also have a couple of cups of tea with lactofree milk without the salt. I also salt all my food.

So... how much double cream do you normally get through in a week, sorry for the interrogation (nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition ;)) I am convinced I have too much.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So... how much double cream do you normally get through in a week, sorry for the interrogation (nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition ;)) I am convinced I have too much.
Sorry just saw this one... I would say I get through about 2*600ml pots a week but hubby also has some in his single daily coffee (probably the same amount as I have over the day) so if it were just me and I was just having coffee maybe one 600ml pot. But then I also put it on desserts so if I'm having frozen raspberries or Oppo ice cream I'll use more.
But just coffee if say 4 a day with 15 ml in each then about 450 ml a week.

VioletViolet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry just saw this one... I would say I get through about 2*600ml pots a week but hubby also has some in his single daily coffee (probably the same amount as I have over the day) so if it were just me and I was just having coffee maybe one 600ml pot. But then I also put it on desserts so if I'm having frozen raspberries or Oppo ice cream I'll use more.
But just coffee if say 4 a day with 15 ml in each then about 450 ml a week.

Thanks :) I can get through a 300 ml tub in two days - not just coffees, I have trouble with digestion and cream (and slices of cold butter) are easy choices to eat and very tasty so easy to overdo, Just fear it's not healthy.....

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks :) I can get through a 300 ml tub in two days - not just coffees, I have trouble with digestion and cream (and slices of cold butter) are easy choices to eat and very tasty so easy to overdo, Just fear it's not healthy.....
Personally I think its very healthy and do exactly what you do.. slices of butter dipped in sea salt and cream in coffee and with any kind of dessert and also glugged straight from the pot.... yummy.

Reactions: VioletViolet