Contacted Tesco

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Doing my Tesco online shop, I realise there are no foods labelled 'low carb', or keto (at least not in the shop near me), plenty of low calorie and low fat foods though.

I've written to them suggesting they catch up with the times ;). They were reminded that a diabetes epidemic is in play, and that they should research how diabetics are now actively controlling their diabetes, many through their low carb diets, with or without drugs. I suggested they start by reviewing this forum.

It's the customers that will drive this change...

BTW I'm not holding my breath, but maybe if enough of us call for change, change might happen.

Reactions: Perminder1

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I make my own yogurt full fat with bugs.
Sometimes I get lazy and don't make any so go to the shops and find it increasingly hard to get full fat yogurt with bugs in!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Trouble is, huge amounts of real food (meat fish eggs cheese dairy Most veg and some fruit) are naturally low carb. So the supermarket already has a huge range of LC foods.

I think the only foods that would get the LC label would be the highly processed snack and convenience foods.

so if someone actively looks for LC labels then they will be drawn towards what I affectionately call ‘frankenfoods’.

don’t get me wrong! I occasionally buy and enjoy such foods :) but my body does not do well on them. I get on much better by just eating the natural stuff, which doesn’t need labelling.

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Trouble is, huge amounts of real food (meat fish eggs cheese dairy Most veg and some fruit) are naturally low carb. So the supermarket already has a huge range of LC foods.

I think the only foods that would get the LC label would be the highly processed snack and convenience foods.

so if someone actively looks for LC labels then they will be drawn towards what I affectionately call ‘frankenfoods’.

don’t get me wrong! I occasionally buy and enjoy such foods :) but my body does not do well on them. I get on much better by just eating the natural stuff, which doesn’t need labelling.

Good point!

I just got peeved when I typed 'low fat' and 'low cal' in the search box and got loads of products, but when I typed 'low carb' I got nada. Surely they could have found some products like pork scratchings, or protein shakes. It's like they are ignoring low carb.

Politics are obviously at play, or perhaps they're thinking if they ignore low carb it'll go away.

I'm pretty sure the 'search box' is analysed, it's a marketing tool. Maybe we should become an armchair activist and keep typing 'low carb' in the box, they might get the message.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.

Food like substances.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with Brunneria, and most of the "low carb" food that I eat is actually readily available normal food, and in general is what I've always eaten.

If I need to check carbohydrate content then I'll look at the nutritional data, and I've always found Tesco very good providing this information and they're often my go-to source even though they're not my preferred online supermarket.