1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Containing foot numbness?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Coastal, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Coastal

Coastal Type 2 · Active Member

just suddenly had toes and one heel go tingly numb... can this be managed?

• Hug Hug x 2
  2. Mike d

Mike d Type 2 · Expert

Don't expect an answer to an impossible question. See your doctor

3. Coastal

Hey Mike thanks a bunch

4. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

Or ensure excellent bgs and monitor heavily til you see your GP.
    If nerve damage then I recommend supplement R-ala.

Keep asking questions.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Coastal

Thank you so much... see dr on Monday.... this came on after heavy dieting lost 20lbs in one month and boom: numb toes... lost 10 more since then...one alcohol even in there too... what is R-Laa?

6. Mike d

Mike d Type 2 · Expert

If you'd have said that at the beginning, I might have had something to go on. Never mind

7. Penabby

Penabby Type 2 · Member

You need to see your Podiatrist who can do some tests to see if you have neuropathy. There are other reasons you can have numbness. Good luck

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. 1spuds

1spuds Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Only time I had something similar was when I injured my back.My foot tingling related to diabetes was a slow onset thing.FWIW.

You are on the right track seeing your Dr,think you are spot on . Good luck.

9. Coastal

10. Coastal

Hi spuds thank you and penabby...you mentioned your foot issues re diabetes was slow onset... would you be willing to rehearse the length of time “slow” refers to and the change in symptoms? Does managing BS keep symptoms contained or once starting this has a path of its own? Thanks in advance much

• Like Like x 2
  11. 1spuds

1spuds Type 2 · Well-Known Member

In my case many months.Maybe a year or 2,hard to say because symptoms were so minor as it started.Foot first started getting cool,then colder,then a smidgen numb,then it started to get tingly and noticeably numb.Slow and steady.Mine was never severe but for sure it made itself known.
    It was such a slow process. I hardly noticed anything for a long time,looking back though it now makes sense.
    Seems to be recovering about same rate it went bad,with sugars being managed now.So IMO if sugars hadnt been almost twice normal,and instead in normal range it never would have occurred.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Coastal

So there’s recovery possible or at least containment at some level of sugar lifestyle etc are managed?

13. Listlad

Listlad Prediabetes · BANNED

@Coastal Mine was the same as 1spuds. At the time the whole thing was almost imperceptible and built up gradually over several years. Until the end of last year the symptoms had become increasingly obvious and troublesome.

However, reversal has been much quicker, just a matter of a couple of months, through dietary control.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Listlad

Listlad Prediabetes · BANNED

Yes. In my case at least, yes.

Was mine neuropathy? Well by lowering blood sugars to well inside the normal range the symptoms have dissapeared.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Coastal

All very very welcome and helpful thank you all so much for sharing your stories.... much appreciation :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

R-ala.....
    Q:What is the difference between R-lipoic acidand Alpha Lipoic acid? A: Alpha-lipoic acidconsists of a 50/50 mixture of the R- (natural) and S- (unnatural) forms (enantiomers). ... R Lipoic is significantly more potent than Alpha Lipoic because the body “recognizes” it and “knows” how to use it.
    upload_2019-8-11_19-59-13.png
    https://geronova.com › faqs
    FAQ - GeroNova Research - R Lipoic Acid

The body uses it to help with diabetic numb toes.

I'm off mine until I'm 3mths after my operation.
    I will resume the use of mine very soon. I'm currently having pain behind my leg and big toe from a nipped nerve in my back but additionally I hv numb toes and side of foot which improves with R-ala. I'm on pregabalin for nerve pain. I'm also on Tramadol for nipped nerves.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Coastal

Can I ask what your R-ala dosage is?

18. Coastal

Hoping to get some guidance on dosage amounts for oral R-ala? Also I’m reading where injections have documented benefits but there seems to be no validation of oral benefits since the studies do t seem to have done.... looks like here folks feel R-ala has relief factors with oral intake?

19. Coastal

May I ask If your numbness from the spinal injury or diabetes? Can I also ask what your R-ala dosage is?

20. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

I stopped R-ala 3mths before my recent Roux-en-y operation in mid-June (2019) and will return on it mid-October. I will only take the R version as S version is believed to just be absorbed by the gastric system and hv no medical worth. I buy the 80% R-ala from Amazon or same make (San) by a respected vendor. The one I buy is 125mg so I'd reintroduce mine to 2x daily then increase to up max 600mg daily by 3x daily and always with food.
    Now I'm on much smaller meals and less absorption I will take accordingly.
    This is a supplement and not designed to replace food.
    I hope you find the same as me and find less sensation or less numbness.
    I'd be grateful if you keep me updated as many use it and stop posting. I'm assuming they are much happier so don't need any more support. I hope I'm right.
    I know it works for me. I'm on more pregabalin tablets without it. I know I found I needed less insulin too.
    Let me know. Thx

Ps. I only take R-ala for neuropathy.

Back/Pelvic spine has a nipped nerve so big toe and leg suffer with scatica which I hv to take multipul painkillers to be able to walk.
    Now hv trapped nerve in neck but hv been able to get some use back in my right arm but still no strength in hand.
    Definately not a stroke GP confirmed.

I'll update again if improvement on R-ala supplement in Oct/Nov.

• Informative Informative x 1
    #20 ickihun, Sep 1, 2019 at 9:56 AM
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook