continuous glucose monitoring system

sabrinaxxx

hello i was wondering if you could help me ....my son josh has been diabetic since he was 2 and he is now 7 and on a insulin pump since oct 09... and things are not going as good as we would have liked his hba1c today was 8.1... better than when he was on injections(+9 :( ) he has always been very hard to control his diabeties things are so bad that his school have hired 2 people to look after him at school all day everyday as this is what is needed for him as the hospital nurses have said he is a unique case... so we have been on a blood glucose monitor before and he was either in the 20s or below 4 .. so always up and down... and i was wondering if anyone thought that buying a continuous glucose monitor for joshua might be a good idea and was wondering if anyone knew how much it might cost????? and how it worked for them as apparently it shows up on your pump screen every 5 minuites what his bg is

Dollyrocker

Hello, there was a thread a little while ago about self funding a cgm and the outcome was that while the meters themselves are expensive it's the ongoing cost of the cannula that would be the most inhibitive. I'll try and find the link.

You have t also bear in mind that you would still have to administer finger prick blood tests as cgms give the result on a delay of about 20 mins so you won't know if your child is hypo till ts too late.

I would suggest you ask the diabetes team to put him on accgm fir a week or 2 again so you can see if there are any triggers or trends to your Childs blood sugars

cjw

Ihope you have got it sorted by now but surely you should be able to get one from the NHS. I have just gone on the Paradigm Veo pump which has a CGM sensor linked to it with a linked meter as well - all provided by the local trust.

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
cjw,

Do you get the CGM and sensor and consumable parts all paid for by the NHS? Permanently? Or is it a loan?

I'm about to go on a Veo and I will have to self fund the CGM part and any sensors I want to use.

Getting it funded by the NHS is very unusual. (... that's what I've been lead to believe)

Sam.

Alzibiff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I spent ages - and I mean ages - assembling a case for NHS funding of CGM. Support from my consultant, offered to present my case in person. Appeal against the decision of my PCT. No go. One year on and I am self funding the sensors.

However - the self funding cannot continue as it is too expensive. As well as sensors being a consumable, (and close to £40 each), the transmitter only has a guaranteed life of 6 months and although my transmitter has lasted up until this point (fingers crossed), I don't think that I could justify the cost of another one at around £400 and guarantee of no more than 6 months.

It is a shame though as I find the CGM a brilliant system to use - not faultless by any means but a good system all the same.

Alan