7 Years On

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Next week marks 7 years since my type 2 diagnosis. My seven years has been very mixed with the first three years following my diagnosis being hugely successful, as I saw it as a kick up the backside to get my health in order. I was started on Metformin and launched head first into a low carb way of eating. I got my HbA1c down into the 30s very quickly from 70 at diagnosis and lost over six stone in weight.

The following three years were very challenging for me with the death of both of my parents, the sale of my childhood home, a kidney stone, a bout of shingles, several surgeries on my foot, covid infection and of course the covid pandemic itself, all of which resulted in a deterioration in my mental health. I managed to keep low carb so kept my HbA1c at non diabetic levels though it was creeping up slowly, but I overdid the fats comfort eating and put back on over 2 stone during those troublesome years.

This time last year following several courses of counselling, two different anti-depressants and the support of my family, friends, GP and diabetes nurse, I felt I needed to tackle my weight gain, but decided I required a bit of help as my will power was still not at it’s best. My diabetes GP and nurse agreed I could take a GLP-1 medication. Initially I was on Victoza injections but when they became unavailable due to global shortages, I switched to Rybelsus tablets. I continue on the middle dose of Rybelsus (7mg), and I eat under 40g of carbs per day. I have lost nearly all the regained weight with just under 1lb to go to get back to my lowest weight which was in 2019. Last week all bloods: liver, kidneys, cholesterol, thyroid etc are normal as is my HbA1c which is now 33. Urine tests were clear too. I was stupidly excited about attending my diabetes review this morning as it was with a GP I hadn’t seen before, and I’m always keen to tell Drs and nurses about low carb eating as a way of controlling type 2. She was totally impressed, in fact when she first saw my results she questioned if I was really diabetic!

I hope this provides inspiration to those just starting on this journey. This forum is great, I got so much sound advice so goodness knows where I’d be if I hadn’t found it on the night of my diagnosis :)

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done @Rachox not just on your diabetes results but on everything in general, I think we can forget sometimes that we are more than a diagnosis of T2 and we need to look at things holistically. Life has a great knack of throwing us curve balls and tripping us up. After going through so much in a short time you’ve done amazing to get yourself back on the right track. Sometimes things can feel like a mountain to climb, but 1 step forward is always 1 step forward - well done :)

LeafyArts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done on everything! It is fabulous that you have sought out help with your mental health and I know that is not easy. Great result with improving your physical wellbeing too! Thank you for sharing, it helps all of us to read about other people's journeys. :)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@Rachox .
I can only add what an inspiration you are.
Your journey through diagnosis, through the first few years, covid and the mental health issues, counselling.
Similar to what I have been through.
But still the determination to be resolute in your control and further to help those who in need of advice because they may be struggling with their issues.
So many times I have read a thread, that has piqued my interest. And there you are.
With a lot more sympathy, empathy and understanding.
And I wouldn't post.
Why?
Because I couldn't explain the advice any better!
You are, as has been said, a huge part of this forum.
And I congratulate you on your diabirthday.
And many happ(ier) returns.
Keep battling, cos ,as I know, that is what we have to do.
My best wishes.

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's quite a journey. Many congratulations on your reversal, and overcoming those challenges, as well as "defeating" diabetes. Long may it continue. :)

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Inspirational. Definitely some food for thought for me in your tale - in terms of renewed dietary and physical efforts, and potentially medication (metformin avoided due to the b12 and gastric issues thus far). I’m even weighing up the pathway to remission Newcastle style option that’s just opened up nationally as I’m only eligible for another month. It never appealed to me before but something has to change and I’ll only this one shot at that whilst everything else remains open for longer.

I’m a year newer to T2 than you and had a similar great first 4 yrs, with a decidedly less good latter 2. The pandemic itself caused me some issues, as much other peoples behaviour as the virus itself and for me I began to struggle more as the world treated it as all over in late 2021/early 2022 than during the height of it.

hyponilla

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like life gave you quite a few kicks over the past years. I've read many of your posts and I can only agree with everyone else, you're a true inspiration and I think you've helped so many people on this forum. Good on you for continuing to fight the diabetes beast!

• Agree
  • Friendly
Reactions: Pipp and Rachox