Continuous glucose monitors

DiabeticDi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi

Can someone help as I am confused. As far as I understand it, the Freestyle Libre is the only cgm sensor you can get on prescription if you fit a number of criteria, which I have been told I don't. But what about the sensor you wear for a few days to see how your control is doing and then the results are downloaded? I really need help with my control overnight but have been told I am not eligible?

D

Deleted Account

Freestyle Libre is NOT a CGM.
A CGM will measure results and alert in real time if there is a problem.
Libre does not alert. Unless you have added attachments, it will only provide results when you swipe it with a reader.

As you have discovered, Freestyle Libre is available on prescription if you meet some strict criteria which few do - the NHS estimate about 20 - 25% of people with type 1 diabetes with qualify.

Some diabetes teams provide temporary sensors that they can download and if you meet some even stricter criteria, you may qualify for a CGM such as Dexcom.

Libre is the cheapest option to see your overnight readings ... although it is not as accurate as finger pricking.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi

Can someone help as I am confused. As far as I understand it, the Freestyle Libre is the only cgm sensor you can get on prescription if you fit a number of criteria, which I have been told I don't. But what about the sensor you wear for a few days to see how your control is doing and then the results are downloaded? I really need help with my control overnight but have been told I am not eligible?

What issues are you experiencing overnight?

You realise that you can map out your levels overnight without Libre, certainly enough to make effective dose adjustment decisions...

D

Deleted Account

@DiabeticDi You could fund a one-off Libre yourself.
If you have a smart phone with NFC, you do not need a separate reader.
The last time I looked, the cheapest place to buy them in the UK is Asda pharmacy. You probably need to phone ahead so they can one in for you.