Contour meter,

Robbalcomb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Evil people
hi, all, a couple of days ago I received via post a Contour next one BG meter, which was a surprise, some of my friends here suggested I start to keep check even though GP and diabetic nurse had not offered it to me , they just prescribed Metformin and told me to come back in three months for another blood test. Today I went to see the diabetic nurse, armed with my new meter and iPad ( as I had downloaded the app that records everything) the wi-fi set up and the ease of use is excellent shown it to the nurse who was quite impressed, today was the first time I had used it so on arising washed hands then did blood test the reading was before food 7.5 mmol and then two hours after breakfast of weetabix with banana cup of tea x2 reading spiked to 13.2 mmol
So will have to cut back on tea I think lol no I will try another breakfast cereal, any suggestions?
The diabetic nurse was happy for me to monitor my bllods and wrote me out a prescription for my strips and lancets
( stabby things ) . I think the GB monitor come via a form I filled in no sure though but thank you anyway

Gabrielle_Tai

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Keep up the good work. I think everybody should eat by the meter and take control of this beast(diabetes).

Reactions: Robbalcomb

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Try scrambled eggs, bacon and eggs, omelette, sausages anything but cereal and bananas.........I cant survive with out the tea....

acs1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes I truly agree with ditching any wheat based cereals for breakfast as it works for me. When you wake up your liver will provide enough glucose from stores so no need to add extra carb energy . Bacon and eggs with a tin of chopped tomatoes will provide enough to keep your tummy full until lunchtime which in my case is 5.5 hours later. If you must eat cereal then plain oats is best as the carbs are released slowly. I drink Soya milk as it is zero sugar and carbs. Since ditching the cereals I have not had a reading of BG over 7 two hours after breakfast. Good luck and with determination you will succeed.

Robbalcomb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Evil people
Keep up the good work. I think everybody should eat by the meter and take control of this beast(diabetes).
Thanks,
thanks , will go back to full English breakfast again I only went to cereal as I thought it would be healthier.
I don't want to test every day I thought 2/3 times a week would be ok ? Stay safe all Merry Christmas

Robbalcomb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Evil people
I have been having cook breakfast for some time now as I have to take medication which is time sensitive so have to take at 06:00 hrs lucky I have always been an early bird up about 5 -5:30 showered and out with the dogs I take other meds for Myasthenia Gravis (MG) and have to msnanage what I can do so mornings are my best times. Time to get creative in the kitchen mmmh thanks all

Robbalcomb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Evil people
Yes I truly agree with ditching any wheat based cereals for breakfast as it works for me. When you wake up your liver will provide enough glucose from stores so no need to add extra carb energy . Bacon and eggs with a tin of chopped tomatoes will provide enough to keep your tummy full until lunchtime which in my case is 5.5 hours later. If you must eat cereal then plain oats is best as the carbs are released slowly. I drink Soya milk as it is zero sugar and carbs. Since ditching the cereals I have not had a reading of BG over 7 two hours after breakfast. Good luck and with determination you will succeed.

Hi sorry not sure how to use chat rooms never use them before . Advice please, decided to blitz clean my walkin shower room today instead of going out for a walk, my BG this morning on waking was 10.1 then 11.2 two hours after breakfast . I then started on shower room then onto kitchen oven fridge etc. About1100 started feeling Hungary so decided to have a snack of chicken nuggets with B B Q sauce, resumed my tasks about 12 all was ok till just after one when I felt dizzy and had to sit down as I thought I was suffering MG (Myasthenia Gravis) fatigue, and needed to rest, I did a BG reading and found I had gone to 21.6 the highest I have been so far , any idea what I'm doing wrong , must have been chicken nuggets! Decided to take rest of day off, I lived on my own so nobody to clean after but myself, and I do like a clean house. Thanks all

Robbalcomb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Evil people
I am not sure if I can help here but can you advise what you ate for breakfast please so others can assist.
I am not sure if I can help here but can you advise what you ate for breakfast please so others can assist.

Hi yes sorry, I have been looking around site today, think I have work it out and should have posted a new thread I will have to get my 9 year old grandson to teach me how to do it ! Well breakfast was sausages egg bacon, baked beans and a small fried potato with one cup of tea, that was at 06:00 so by 11:30 had a snack of 6 chicken nuggets with a BBQ dip, it was a couple of hours later that I felt woozy and tired . Thanks

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi yes sorry, I have been looking around site today, think I have work it out and should have posted a new thread I will have to get my 9 year old grandson to teach me how to do it ! Well breakfast was sausages egg bacon, baked beans and a small fried potato with one cup of tea, that was at 06:00 so by 11:30 had a snack of 6 chicken nuggets with a BBQ dip, it was a couple of hours later that I felt woozy and tired . Thanks
Any food that comes in packaging, other than fresh fruit and vegetables, will have the amount of carbohydrate content per 100 grams marked on the label. It will also show how many grams the entire pack contents weigh, and may show grams per portion. (Portions are a bit of a snare, as the manufacturers often imagine we eat very small ones!) If you have some kitchen scales that weigh quite small amounts it will be easy for you to find out exactly how many grams of carbs are in the food you eat. If not, you can still estimate. And maybe invest in a small set of scales? There were some carbs in the egg and in the milk in your tea, but the real culprits will have been the sausages, baked beans, potato and chicken nuggets and dip. That all adds up to lots of carbs. If you look at the labels you will be able to see how many. Instead perhaps more eggs and a bigger portion of bacon, followed later by a chicken leg and maybe lettuce with Hellman's Real mayonnaise would cut out almost all the carbs. You might like to set yourself an initial quite generous carb budget of eg 150 grams and see how it gets used up during the day. Good luck!

JeremySE18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
As stated above.

Chicken nuggets = high carbs in the coating, and probably in the glue that holds the reconstituted meat together.
BBQ sauce = chock full of sugar.
Baked beans = chock full of sugar in the tomato sauce.

Are you seeing a pattern as to why your levels are not so good :) Check the low carb forum for some very useful information and meal suggestions.

Good luck!

Robbalcomb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Evil people
Any food that comes in packaging, other than fresh fruit and vegetables, will have the amount of carbohydrate content per 100 grams marked on the label. It will also show how many grams the entire pack contents weigh, and may show grams per portion. (Portions are a bit of a snare, as the manufacturers often imagine we eat very small ones!) If you have some kitchen scales that weigh quite small amounts it will be easy for you to find out exactly how many grams of carbs are in the food you eat. If not, you can still estimate. And maybe invest in a small set of scales? There were some carbs in the egg and in the milk in your tea, but the real culprits will have been the sausages, baked beans, potato and chicken nuggets and dip. That all adds up to lots of carbs. If you look at the labels you will be able to see how many. Instead perhaps more eggs and a bigger portion of bacon, followed later by a chicken leg and maybe lettuce with Hellman's Real mayonnaise would cut out almost all the carbs. You might like to set yourself an initial quite generous carb budget of eg 150 grams and see how it gets used up during the day. Good luck!
Thank you friend

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I Know I sound Like a Cracked Record But yes try and avoid all Bad food choices. Reduce Quantity ( not as some comments have suggested to lose weight but to reduce B.S reading.) Not suggesting you have to stave or go cold turkey but gradually reduce whilst testing and I found (Think) that it helped me cant prove it but over 20 yrs+ as a diabetic whilst avoiding everything I Can from time to time My B.S levels rise (not a spike but a gradual rise.) and each time It seems to be because my portion sizes creep up when I correct this my B.S goes back down.

Not Proof could easily be something else of course but coincidence ???

Robbalcomb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Evil people
I Know I sound Like a Cracked Record But yes try and avoid all Bad food choices. Reduce Quantity ( not as some comments have suggested to lose weight but to reduce B.S reading.) Not suggesting you have to stave or go cold turkey but gradually reduce whilst testing and I found (Think) that it helped me cant prove it but over 20 yrs+ as a diabetic whilst avoiding everything I Can from time to time My B.S levels rise (not a spike but a gradual rise.) and each time It seems to be because my portion sizes creep up when I correct this my B.S goes back down.

Not Proof could easily be something else of course but coincidence ???

Many thanks, Bang, my weight before all this started back in April this year was a steady 73kg and I could eat whatever I wanted to without putting a gram on , I was that weight most of my adult life , but back in April my MG went into free fall resulting in a long hospital stay, that's when I was prescribed Prednisolone 5mg then on 7th September 17 while out walking my dog, I experienced a sharp pain in right side of head then pain in left eye which has left me with double blurred Vision back into hospital where my steroids went from 5mg to 60mg. My Nurologist has slowly been reducing it and I am now down to 40 mg still attending hospital both my Nurologist and the Eye Hospital , as al they can say is we have to wait till we get steroids back to 5 to see what damage has been down, I have been having regular blood tests at my GP surgery only to be told that I have developed Type 2 diabetic. That's why as soon as I was told I came and found DUK and a blessing it's been , my weight is now 87kg so I want to get on top of it before I lose control, and yes to be honest as you know while on steroids the full button in your brain gets turned off, and I have been eating very large portions, so as from today I will cut them down to normal size,
Thank you again my friend, stay safe and have a happy holiday

Robbalcomb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Evil people
As stated above.

Chicken nuggets = high carbs in the coating, and probably in the glue that holds the reconstituted meat together.
BBQ sauce = chock full of sugar.
Baked beans = chock full of sugar in the tomato sauce.

Are you seeing a pattern as to why your levels are not so good :) Check the low carb forum for some very useful information and meal suggestions.

Good luck!
Thanks, no pattern as yet but I thought I would test mornings before food then two hours after and again at bedtime for a week to give me a base line to work to , the I will reduce tests to 2 / 3 times a week , going to check what's in things more carefully bit of a problem as I am at present partially sighted , but have vert large magnifying glass lol learning a lot from DUK website
Thanks Merry Christmas stay safe

acs1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
What is so great about this site is everybody is so friendly and helpful as I guess we are all in the same boat. When I ditched wheat for bacon and eggs earlier this month I misread the tiny label on the baked beans tin and thought it was low carb until somebody here told me to avoid them as well. Another thing you might try is Rye Bread or Pumpernickel. Dry as anything but one slice fills me up also a Hi protein roll from the fesh bread counter at a Lidl if you have one. Buy half a dozen and freeze the rest. I wish you good luck!

Robbalcomb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Evil people
What is so great about this site is everybody is so friendly and helpful as I guess we are all in the same boat. When I ditched wheat for bacon and eggs earlier this month I misread the tiny label on the baked beans tin and thought it was low carb until somebody here told me to avoid them as well. Another thing you might try is Rye Bread or Pumpernickel. Dry as anything but one slice fills me up also a Hi protein roll from the fesh bread counter at a Lidl if you have one. Buy half a dozen and freeze the rest. I wish you good luck!
And to you and your family

Robbalcomb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Evil people
P.s reading this morning after breakfast was 9.7 so going down I did take my Metformin straight after eating at 6:30 then tested at 8:30 I think I will take the Metformin at this time in future ✅