Control Solution and out of date strips?

harrym1byt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My Wavesense Jazz meter was delivered last evening, well a pair of them bought on the cheap because the kits were long out of date with the included test strips and control solution - hence the cheap, but fine to play about with for now whilst I get my head around it and waiting for delivery of in date items.....

Two things I am not clear on...

1. A 'normal' Control Solution is included, but I don't understand the actual purpose. The instructions say how to use it, but not when/why. The test strip container says the 'normal' solution should produce a result on the meter of between 5.8 and 8.8 - they produce results of around 7.2 mmol/L near mid range. I would expect the Control Solution to be carefully calibrated to provide a precise reference reading, rather than a wide range of 3mmol/L. All it really proves is the unit is sort of working.

2. I have tested it in earnest a few times, just to get the hang of it, with the long out of date strips. The results are reasonably consistent, though I fancy higher than actual. How crucial are these use by dates on the strips?

As already said, I don't desperately need to keep a close eye on my glucose, I am right at the bottom end of the diabetic range/ marginal. I just fancied having a bit of rough feedback of progress at home.

On a different note - I thought I might be struggling to self inflict injury with the lance. Accidental cuts and bruises never much bother me, but inflicting injury deliberately... In fact it was barely noticeable when fired.
icon_lol.gif

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
On a different note - I thought I might be struggling to self inflict injury with the lance. Accidental cuts and bruises never much bother me, but inflicting injury deliberately... In fact it was barely noticeable when fired.
I felt like you about starting finger pricking. In fact I procrastinated for about a week after my meter was delivered, and when I finally started I was so panicked I wasted several of my precious strips. (IMO it was a good idea you had, to get started with strips that you got on the cheap.) And now I think nothing of it! I am comforted to think that if I eventually progress to having to inject insulin, that too won't be as terrible as I used to imagine. I could have nicely done without all this, but it is always good to learn new things, especially at my advanced age. I like to think it wards off the Alzheimer's.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: MCG1986

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry I thought I had confirmed your thoughts. Meters are only accurate to a range and the control solution is to ensure that the unit and strips are within range therefore working correctly. EG if you got a 11 using the normal control solution then you could not trust the meter/strips.

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No point testing with long out of date test strips. Rubbish in rubbish out.

harrym1byt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks both...

I am very new to all of this and I appreciate the point about out of date strips, but even in date the test produces a wide range of what seems to be acceptable. I would have expected the range of acceptable to be much narrower than + or - 1.5. I would expect a reference (the Control Solution) to produce a fairly precise number.

I'm not clear how much the 'out of date' might affect either the Control Solution, or the strips, but my test with both out of date indicates they pretty close to the mid point of acceptable range.

Sorry - I have had a lot to do with instruments, references and precision values..

Last edited:

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would have expected the range of acceptable to be much narrower

I think you will have to amend your expections in the face of the evidence. Imagine needing to test 4-8 times a day to prevent serious illness or death, to ensure that you are safe to drive or to go to sleep. That is what a blood glucose meter does for people prescribed insulin and other medication that can cause hypoglycemia. That is what they are designed for.

I'm hope once you get your 'in date' test strips that your meter will be suitable for your needs.