Cooking ahead

K

Kat100

Today I have made a veggie chilli and and chickpea aubergine stew...all will last in the fridge for a few days...
Anyone else got any meals they can make in advance , save on cooking every day :)

Reactions: 2 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I make myself a crustless quiche using a dozen eggs, bacon as the "crust", usually with asparagus, chives, crumbled sheep's cheese, spinach, topped with halved grape tomatoes and grated cheddar. I get 8 generous servings that I keep in individual containers in fridge or freezer and "nuke" in the microwave for breakfast each morning. Gives me one meal a day on autopilot with minimal effort. Been doing it for ages and still not bored as it is yummy.

Reactions: 11 people
K

Kat100

Hi Indy ......sounds great....we need meals on the go.... :) ...
I like the sound of your meal, I would just have to,find an alternative for the bacon .....x

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Indy ......sounds great....we need meals on the go.... :) ...
I like the sound of your meal, I would just have to,find an alternative for the bacon .....x
I've also used corned beef but I keep coming back to bacon as I love it - if I was vegetarian, I'd probably use aubergine or zucchini.

Reactions: 4 people
K

Kat100

Thanks Indy ....I have eaten very little pasty over the last year....don't want it .....x

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
I make myself a crustless quiche using a dozen eggs, bacon as the "crust", usually with asparagus, chives, crumbled sheep's cheese, spinach, topped with halved grape tomatoes and grated cheddar. I get 8 generous servings that I keep in individual containers in fridge or freezer and "nuke" in the microwave for breakfast each morning. Gives me one meal a day on autopilot with minimal effort. Been doing it for ages and still not bored as it is yummy.
Please, please post this recipe so I can make it tomorrow! All my fave ingredients!

Reactions: 5 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There seriously isn't a recipe - no set ingredients except I always use a dozen large eggs. Make it in one of those huge lasagna size pyrex dishes. Line with shortcut bacon. Cover with heaps of chopped up chives. Cover with crumbled sheep's cheese or fetta. Cover again with as many fresh trimmed asparagus spears as it takes (I usually buy 4 bunches and keep any left over to use with other meals). Cover again with as many halved grape/cherry tomatoes as needed. Beat the eggs with sour cream (I know by eye how much liquid I need to cover the ingredients), add defrosted/drained chopped spinach to the eggs and mix - pour the mix over the assembled "quiche". Then cover the top with grated cheddar. Bake in preheated 150C oven till it looks done (about 1 hour). Cut into 8 slices and put on cake rack to cool and drain any excess liquid (so it doesn't end up all mushy after re-heating). When cooled put in individual containers.

I love all the ingredient, so only occasionally change the recipe - but I guess you could put just about anything you fancy in it really.

Reactions: 9 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
There seriously isn't a recipe - no set ingredients except I always use a dozen large eggs. Make it in one of those huge lasagna size pyrex dishes. Line with shortcut bacon. Cover with heaps of chopped up chives. Cover with crumbled sheep's cheese or fetta. Cover again with as many fresh trimmed asparagus spears as it takes (I usually buy 4 bunches and keep any left over to use with other meals). Cover again with as many halved grape/cherry tomatoes as needed. Beat the eggs with sour cream (I know by eye how much liquid I need to cover the ingredients), add defrosted/drained chopped spinach to the eggs and mix - pour the mix over the assembled "quiche". Then cover the top with grated cheddar. Bake in preheated 150C oven till it looks done (about 1 hour). Cut into 8 slices and put on cake rack to cool and drain any excess liquid (so it doesn't end up all mushy after re-heating). When cooled put in individual containers.

I love all the ingredient, so only occasionally change the recipe - but I guess you could put just about anything you fancy in it really.
Ohh baby!!!!!!!! I am so cooking this! Even my husband who is not a quiche lover thinks this sounds lovely! Couple of things which are confusing us - do you use raw or cooked bacon, what is shortcut bacon and do the slices overlap?

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe shortcut bacon is an Aussie thing - basically the "tail" of middle bacon is trimmed off, so you're left with substantial oval shaped slices - the packet I buy is 400 g and yes, overlapped the slices cover the bottom of the lasagna pan. I use the smoked bacon raw as I assume 1 hour in the oven will take care of cooking it?

I started out by following a basic quiche recipe, replacing pastry with bacon slices, and then kept increasing the size of it till I could make a week's worth of breakfasts in one bake.

I'm the most basic cook in the world, so if I can make this, anyone can!

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, thieves, users, cruelty, doing the washing up. Lol
My favourite is Goulash I make mine with mince instead of chunks of Beef because Hubby is fussy with Meat.
500g Minced Steak
1 large onion
Large tin chopped Tomato
2 teaspoons Oragano
1 sachet of Shwartz Paprika
Salt and Pepper
Soften the onion in Olive oil, Add the rest of the ingredients.
Add some water, not too much just so you can stir it freely.
Bring to the boil then simmer on a low heat for Half an hour.
Thicken with cornflour . 2 or 3 Tablespoons (wont hurt) with all that meat and veg,
Don't use Gravy Granules you will change the taste and still add carbs
Best made the day before so the herbs and spices become more intense.
Serve with Rice or Quinoa, Baked Potato or Chips if you are allowed.
Garlic bread or Chappati . Sprinkle with Chedder.
I usually make some bread, Nothing like hot Bread to dip in.
This makes 4-5 good portions or Double up for freezing.

:greedy:Or make a veggy version swapping the meat for any veg

Last edited by a moderator:
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today I have made a veggie chilli and and chickpea aubergine stew...all will last in the fridge for a few days...
Anyone else got any meals they can make in advance , save on cooking every day :)

I used to cook and freeze meals but I have now changed tack. I cook and freeze the component parts of meals, omelettes in one container, sausages in another, steamed veggies in freezer bags etc. This give me the option of having a bespoke meal of any component parts I fancy on the day. Just an omelette or a full meal and so on.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My favourite is Goulash I make mine with mince instead of chunks of Beef because Hubby is fussy with Meat.
500g Minced Steak
1 large onion
Large tin chopped Tomato
2 teaspoons Oragano
1 sachet of Shwartz Paprika
Salt and Pepper
Soften the onion in Olive oil, Add the rest of the ingredients.
Add some water, not too much just so you can stir it freely.
Bring to the boil then simmer on a low heat for Half an hour.
Best made the day before so the herbs and spices become more intense.
Serve with Rice or Quinoa, Baked Potato or Chips if you are allowed.
Garlic bread or Chappati . Sprinkle with Chedder.
I usually make some bread, Nothing like hot Bread to dip in.
This makes 4-5 good portions or Double up for freezing.

:greedy:Or make a veggy version swapping the meat for any veg
Nooooo! Stop talking about bread and rice!!!!!!!!its cruel!!!!! Can't eat them. It spikes me :( goulash sounds lovely! Will try this out next time I have a parents evening and leave it for them to warm up. They can all eat rice so they'll love it!

Steve type2prediab

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not being able to have risotto rice anymore, however, it's possible to make a variant with pasta instead of rice, so maybe that but using buckwheat pasta.
Nooooo! Stop talking about bread and rice!!!!!!!!its cruel!!!!! Can't eat them. It spikes me :(

How about buckwheat bread. ? Reputedly buckwheat, in appropriate amounts of course, is beneficial to blood sugar and cholesterol control.
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=11

http://www.ion.ac.uk/information/onarchives/controldiabetes

It's also quick and easy to make, and you can see how to do that here...

You can download and save youtube vids by copying and pasting the youtube URL on this site... http://en.savefrom.net/1-how-to-download-youtube-video/

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The VLC media player has a record button now and you can stream stuff to it. Not quite as user friendly in some respects but I find it works well.

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
150g soya flour
100g gram flour
50g barley flour
50g spelt flour
6Tbs gluten
1Tbs peanut oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
420 ml water knead in bread machine for 2 hours
Add 3 tsp baking powder
Knead for 5 more minutes
Bake in bread machine.
23g carb per 100g and low gi.
Total success.
If I make a few hundred more I can build a wall.

Reactions: 3 people
K

Kat100

150g soya flour
100g gram flour
50g barley flour
50g spelt flour
6Tbs gluten
1Tbs peanut oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
420 ml water knead in bread machine for 2 hours
Add 3 tsp baking powder
Knead for 5 more minutes
Bake in bread machine.
23g carb per 100g and low gi.
Total success.
If I make a few hundred more I can build a wall.
You can make and send them this side of the wall then please....sounds lovely :angelic:

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For veggie quiche you could line the dish with courgette slices they go really well with cheeses
CAROL

Malcolm1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I use my 6 Litre slow cooker/crock pot won’t be without one best thing I’ve ever bought for the kitchen, bang everything in on a Sunday night come in from work on Monday and it’s done portion it out bang them in the freezer or fridge if I’m feeling lazy and nuke one each night lasts me about a week of evening meals and you can roast and bake in them as well