1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Copy of letter sent out to NHS GPs re Shielding (03/04/20)

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Brunneria, Apr 7, 2020.

1. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Well I guess nobody HAS to but the guidance for GPs would appear to allow them the discretion to ask their patients to shield if their hb1ac is high. At the end of the day it's down to individuals but I know for a fact if I was told to shield by my GP, I would. x

• Agree Agree x 6
  2. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Yes, even though it is a bit of a shock to be told I am vulnerable, (despite not having outrageously high HbA1c , ) as I have other conditions, I am, for once in my life, not going to be a rebel, and will do as I am told.

I am really grateful to those, who are making the sacrifices, including adhering to the social distancing stuff, that make a safer world for me.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. MargaretR

MargaretR Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I found this on the Versus Arthritis website. (Google Versus Arthritis). It has been developed by The British Society for Rheumatology for those with arthritis, but it seems to me to cover many of our co-morbidities. The really useful thing is that it names a lot of the drugs, and in the case of predisolone gives 2 levels of risk for different doses.

I scored 5, so I filled in the the government form. This satisfied. Sainsbury so I get deliveries, but I’ve not had a letter from the NHS or the GP

Apologies for the lack of a link, I tried but failed.

Risk calculator

Even if you have not had a letter from the NHS, you can estimate your risk level by answering the questions below.
    If yes, score
    Have you had cyclophosphamide tablets and/or infusions in the last six months? 3

Have you been taking prednisolone 20mg (or more) daily for more than four weeks? 3

Do you regularly take prednisolone 5mg (or more) daily? 2
    Do you have any of the following problems: diabetes, lung problems, heart disease, high blood pressure?

Or even if you do not have any of these problems, are you over 70 years old? 1

Are you on just one immune suppression drug and/or injection (other than sulfasalazine or hydroxychloroquine) 1

Are you on two or more immune suppression drugs and/or injections (other than sulfasalazine or hydroxychloroquine)? 2

Add up the numbers above, to make your total:

If you score of 3 or more:
    You're likely to be at ‘extremely vulnerable’ and probably need to shield yourself. Register for this help on the gov.uk website. If you're unsure whether you fall in this category, register for help first and then contact your rheumatology department. Do not wait to hear from your rheumatology department before registering for help, register now.
    If you score 2:
    You're unlikely to need to shield yourself. You should practise very careful social distancing, and self-isolate at your discretion. If you're unsure whether you fall in this category, you can contact your rheumatology department.
    Score of 0 or 1:
    You should continue to practise social distancing. If you're unsure whether you fall in this category, you can contact your rheumatology department.
    Where has this information come from?
    The British Society for Rheumatology developed this risk scoring guide and shared it with rheumatology teams across the country. We’ve worked with the British Society for Rheumatology to develop this content.

• Informative Informative x 4
  4. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I am a little like you Pipp, I normally growl through the day at anyone who so much as gives me a sympathetic look when they find out I have diabetes! I'm super fit, healthy, on top of the world.....BUT for this I would never take a chance and none of us know how our bodies will react to such a virus (and we don't want to put it to the test either). x

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Hug Hug x 1
  5. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

Well I scored 3 on that would have been more but have reduced Prednisolone from 20 to 15 mg per day recently and have been taken of Azathioprine because it reduced my leucocyte count to near zero.

6. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have started getting text messages now, with an option to opt out. I can open a window but not leave the property.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. gmmorris

gmmorris Type 2 · Member

I received my letter today. I have heart disease and diabetes. But the sole reasons I qualify (!) are 1. age, and 2. taking two autoimmunity pills (Prednisolone and Micophenolate Motefil). Was already shielding in anticipation.

• Hug Hug x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. TInastamper_

TInastamper_ Type 1 · Newbie

I have had type1 for 44 years, elevated HbA1c, mild bronchiectasis, angina and take hydroxychloroquine but have not had any advice either email or nhs letter about shielding. I’m isolating myself but it irritates me that I’m obviously not considered to be vulnerable.

• Hug Hug x 4
  9. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

My son received an email today telling him he is in the high risk vulnerable group, we knew this anyway and has to isolate for 12 weeks, he lives on his own too and is already finding it difficult..
    His message to me was, 'just got this, better late than never lol'

• Hug Hug x 1
  10. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Sorry to read of your medical conditions, some people, who are not in the very high risk vulnerable group, don't receive a notification to isolate themselves and other's who are not in that group have been sent a notification or their Gp has said they are, very confusing and to some, very frustrating too.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. ringi

ringi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I think if someone just has diabetes, an A1c over 77 or DKA in last year qualifies the person for shealding.

12. lindisfel

lindisfel · Well-Known Member

Any thoughts that if one is on the extremely vulnerable list they may not get on a ventilator if they become ill with covid19?
    D.

13. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes, lots of thoughts, but that would be off topic for this thread.
    Why not start a new thread and ask the question?

I would be very grateful if people would stay on topic, since informing people about WHY someone has actually received a letter (rather than speculation, or veering off into other subjects) could help people.

We are getting a lot of threads asking if the member should have got a letter who have no idea whether they should be Shielding, or not.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Janet.h

Janet.h Type 2 · Member

I have been shielded because I take chemo tablets for a blood condition so my immune system is shot. I am also asthmatic as well as diabetic. I got two texts. One from nhs directly, I assume that was the chemo. The second, three days later from thr go practice. I do suffer terribly from post viral bronchitis and had something with the same symptoms over the new year. If you are in the shielded category sign in to the government website for extremely vulnerable even if you do not need weekly food boxes. I hope everyone is staying safe.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Janet.h

Janet.h Type 2 · Member

That’s what I got. Luckily after the second week, when I had to phone my son to shop and drive for an hour to bring me fresh food, I then got an email from Tesco offering a special slot for deliveries. They have been given 110,000 names so far. These must be the people contacted on the Monday. Hopefully all supermarkets will offer their regular customers a slot if needed.

type 2 HBa1c 6.8%. But with asthma and compromised immune system due to taking chemo tablets (for the rest of my life).

• Like Like x 1
  16. Josie66

Josie66 Type 2 · Active Member

That's not the advice have received from Gp occupational health and practice nurses. A1c above 70 high risk

17. fatrats

fatrats Type 2 · Member

hi brunneria thanks for starting this thread. Also to Josie66 hi. Thanks for your contribution. I have hba1c of 80 and spoke to my nurse this week - she has never heard of this and could only say they have just sent out the first lot of letters last week. Being a key worker I feel very scared at the moment especially as my partner is vulnerable too. I shall look on govt website and try contact my HR but it is Bank Holiday Weekend!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  18. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I received my letter today.

• Hug Hug x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

I wrote the above post on 7th April. It seems some GP's are more on the ball than others.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  20. Gloucestergirl

Gloucestergirl Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I haven't received a letter or text so assumed I wasn't a high risk. Among other things I am over 70, I have diabetes but the main thing is I was diagnosed with Myelodysplasic Syndrome which is a form of blood cancer in 2017. I have been on immunosuppressant tablets for about 18 months and have regular blood tests. It was only when I received a call from the blood clinic doctor last week with the results of my latest blood test and I said that I assumed I was low risk as I hadn't received a letter she said she was going to throw a spanner in the works as I was VERY high risk and to stay at home. i have already stayed in for three weeks but will need to go for more blood to be taken in three weeks. I am glad I read the information here which gives a clearer picture of what I must and must not do.

• Hug Hug x 6
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook