1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Corona virus isolation

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by steveo4, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Lemonie

Lemonie Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Not that I've heard. They advised anybody who required a flu jab to apply social distancing but nothing else.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Draco16

Draco16 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

The Extremely Vulnerable group (the approx 1.5 million) who today have been asked to shield for 12 weeks are defined very clearly here - the official government source of info:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ng-extremely-vulnerable-persons-from-covid-19

Diabetics (T1 or T2) ARE NOT INCLUDED.

(Though it is obviously better if you can - for yourself, but it also removes you as a potential transmitter to society).

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. swan45

swan45 Type 2 · Member

They said it over the weekend on bbc news. But i am looking now to find it. I just dont know anymore. This is making feel ill anyway.

4. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Expert

Thanks for getting back to me on that - I appreciate it. As a T1 key worker I’ve been checking the guidelines on the BBC and UK & Welsh government sites regularly and have seen literally no mention of T1s having to totally isolate - just wanted to make very sure I hadn’t missed anything I needed to know.

Please try not to worry yourself into a state of illness - do you have an interest or hobby (or a favourite film) you could lose yourself in for a few hours? We need to take care of mental as well as physical health during difficult times x

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. johen

johen Type 1 · Active Member

I am TOTALLY confused about what I am meant to be doing. I am tearful at the best of times, have kept 6 foot from my hubby for the past 10 days - this latest update is so contrary and THERE IS NO ONE TO ASK FOR CLARIFICATION :(:(:(:(
    @LooperCat The gov.uk site said the other day that everyone who normally gets a flu jab should "stay home" Are they now saying we shouldnt worry?

6. philchap1

philchap1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

The people on the list are the one's who will most likely die if they catch coronavirus, I'm guessing type 1s and badly controlled type 2s have a better chance of survival, it's like everything in life, where do you draw the line ?

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. LooperCat

This is the official UK government guidance, updated today:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...protecting-older-people-and-vulnerable-adults

Unless in the highest risk group, we (as diabetics of any type) are “strongly advised” to practice “stringent social distancing”:

“What is social distancing?
    Social distancing measures are steps you can take to reduce social interaction between people. This will help reduce the transmission of coronavirus (COVID-19).

They are to:

1. Avoid contact with someone who is displaying symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19). These symptoms include high temperature and/or new and continuous cough
    2. Avoid non-essential use of public transport when possible
    3. Work from home, where possible. Your employer should support you to do this. Please refer to employer guidance for more information
    4. Avoid large and small gatherings in public spaces, noting that pubs, restaurants, leisure centres and similar venues are currently shut as infections spread easily in closed spaces where people gather together.
    5. Avoid gatherings with friends and family. Keep in touch using remote technology such as phone, internet, and social media
    6. Use telephone or online services to contact your GP or other essential services
    Everyone should be trying to follow these measures as much as is practicable.

We strongly advise you to follow the above measures as much as you can and to significantly limit your face-to-face interaction with friends and family if possible, particularly if you:

• are over 70
    • have an underlying health condition
    • are pregnant
    This advice is likely to be in place for some weeks.”

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. johen

I agree @philchap1 But putting us on the list last week and making us worry then suddenly discluding us from the list is too confusing. Why? Are we suddenly not high risk or are they too many on the very high risk so theyve decided to drop a few numbers as they cannot cope? So do I worry or not?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

the entire country is supposed to be staying at home, with only necessary trips out for supplies, and work (if unable to work from home. They are calling it social distancing.

I encourage everyone to carefully read the corona virus pages on the www.gov.uk website.
    The most recent, up to date information is there.
    All the media discussion is simply expanding and discussing this, and they often ‘embroider’ things.
    Stick with the gov.uk info - it is straight from the horses mouth.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. johen

@LooperCat So the advice issued 2 days ago still stands? Is the directive today in addition or does it replace? Sorry - things like this usually go into my brain but I am a bit all over at the moment!

11. LooperCat

The advice for diabetics hasn’t changed. It’s been social distancing from the start.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. kev-w

kev-w Type 1 · Well-Known Member

ETtZLIgXsAIfVBF.png

We're not on that list, so we should continue to socially distance ourselves and as I suggested elsewhere you could and perhaps should take some comfort we're not vulnerable enough to be included....

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. philchap1

It would be good to know what percentage of the poor people who have sadly died had diabetes and how many were type1 and how many were type 2, I don't think they know enough about this virus as it seems to be killing all age groups, and some have no underlying conditions, it could be mutating as it spreads, stay as safe as you possibly can.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Tyw94

Tyw94 Type 1 · Member

I'm a type 1 also and was also concerned whether I should be working as I'm a postman. I stumbled upon this on the governments website....

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  15. kev-w

kev-w Type 1 · Well-Known Member

The sorting office is the Achilles heel for you there, can you ask your union rep for advice regarding social distancing and the illness?

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Tyw94

Tyw94 Type 1 · Member

Unfortunately our union rep is useless but going to speak to the manager tomorrow to suggest I take a period of leave and discuss terms etc see what happens as like you said the sorting office will be a haven for the virus.

17. No66

No66 · Member

I would be more concerned if I was a type 2.Personal experiences of knowing both types and being a type 1 myself have made me come to that conclusion.

18. LooperCat

Where are you based? My husband is South Wales equality rep for your union, as well as covering H&S. He’d be happy to help advise. PM me and I can give him your details x

19. philchap1

On what evidence is your theory based ? Type 1 is an autoimmune disease so we are most at risk.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. LooperCat

In the general population, away from the forum, type twos tend to be older and have much higher blood glucose levels, co-morbidities and complications than T1s. People here aren’t really a representative sample of the t2 population. Yes, T1 is autoimmune, but that doesn’t make our immune systems weak per se - just a bit misguided. Unless you have multiple autoimmune issues, it’s thought we’re not at greater risk of actually contracting the virus. The main risk for us is runaway hyperglycaemia and the risk of DKA. That’s why we’re not on the “highly vulnerable” list. If we keep on top of our levels with insulin it shouldn’t be any more dangerous for us than someone with a pancreas.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook