1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Corona virus isolation

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by steveo4, Mar 19, 2020.

1. philchap1

philchap1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

That's interesting thank you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. kev-w

kev-w Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Well put ma'am and nail bang on head with what you wrote there.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. swan45

swan45 Type 2 · Member

Hi theyve said diabetics to significantly self distance. Thats as good as not going out and isolating if its significant enough to. Says that on bbc news this morning. I am type 2.
    Theres nothing we can do to totally protect ourselves if we work closely with the public as i do.

4. swan45

swan45 Type 2 · Member

Yes do it as i have now. The company i work for had a briefing prior to discussing it with employees and in turn with us . I have now taken 2 weeks holiday from the following year to help me with actually isolating myself. I would rather lose holiday than be risking it at the work place. But i will be re- assessed of the situation before returning, in case i need to take any more holiday hours off work .
    Once the holiday hours are used up i just hope by then type 1 and 2 are already excluded from working and allowed to self isolate while this is spreading. Ask your employer. You do have options from your employer about ways to help you from what i was told . I just wish we could self isolate period.

5. Danmiluk

Danmiluk · Member

The I'm about give is information from the government website. For now it is 12weeks social distancing This may change.
    As diabetics we are classed as vurernable people. There is no distinction between any types 1 or 2.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...protecting-older-people-and-vulnerable-adults

The government is giving employers help with the cost of your salary up to 80% (furloughed workers section) which we are in this category. You shouldn't have to use up your annual leave to keep yourselves safe and well.

6. Ross101

Ross101 Type 1 · Member

Well we are going into full lockdown within the next 24 hours (I imagine announces today) so it will take a lot of the decision out of our hands

7. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi,

Do you have a source for this information please?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Big_Col

Big_Col Type 1 · Well-Known Member

The Ministry of Defence have been told to be on standby for complete UK lockdown as of Monday evening at 6pm... No one is to leave their homes unless you work in Front Line Retail or the NHS...

I heard this directly from my neighbour Trigger who is best friends with a guy called Boycey. Boycey knows a guy named Del who drinks down the pub with his uncle Albert. Albert was in the Navy during the war so knows his stuff.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Lemonie

Lemonie Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I agree. People aren't listening to the advice but I think it will be towards the end of the week.

10. kev-w

kev-w Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I vote for putting Rodders in charge :p

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Bearing in mind Uncle Arthur died in 1999, I might be waiting for some official stuff on all this.

I don't think Uncle Arthur died of COVID, so that's good news. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Luvvly jubbly. x

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Tyw94

Tyw94 Type 1 · Member

A little update.
    After going in and speaking to my manager today he said I could self isolate myself without the government saying I had to but would have to take my holiday/sick pay.
    If I was to get a doctors note I would be on full pay.
    So I did the e consultation for my local doctors surgery and asked whether I should or shouldn't be isolating as I am a type 1 diabetic, he promptly replied saying as I am in a high risk group I should self isolate for 12 weeks as the government have outlined and gave me a doctors note. Peace of mind for me.

• Like Like x 2
  14. No66

No66 · Member

How effective is self isolation,served by a shop server today they seemed to have a cold?....you tell me....

15. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

If you were self isolating why were you in a shop?

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

I agree with Mr Pot. If you are self isolating then you don't leave your house, and you ask others (friends, family or delivery services) to bring necessities to you - but you don't get within 2 m of them, so they leave everything outside your front door.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. lindisfel

lindisfel · Well-Known Member

Expert today, I think she was on world service, reckons the shopping can be contaminated.
    She was advising what surfaces of shopping carried virus, even what shoppers should do when they came home. Shopping needs dealing with carefully. Washing hands, putting all ones clothes in washer and having a shower to get all virus off ones body. If one uses supermarket trolley disinfect handle etc.

The sooner lock down comes the better.

D.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. No66

No66 · Member

To get food etc,self isolating is an unobtainable fantasy,limit contact and no handshakes etc is my aim.level being realistic at this present time.Not everyone has the option of having items delivered to their front door if they happen to have a front door that is.

#58 No66, Mar 23, 2020 at 6:25 PM
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  19. No66

No66 · Member

And by the way I never stated I was self isolating .

20. No66

No66 · Member

These so called self isolators I mean they might be in a house full of family or multiple occupation are you going to monitor everyone in the property.You may as well be sealed in a box already,I take my chances with sensible precautions.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook