Coronary arterial lesion + high LDL... what next?

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry there’s a lot of information here, but I want to give a full picture.

I’m a 39yo male, with Type 1 diabetes for the past 29 years. My historic HbA1c was consistently 60-70 mmol/mol (7.6-8.6%), despite my best efforts. Late 2017, increasing retinopathy spurred me into action, and I read ‘Dr Bernstein’s Diabetes Solution’ and ‘The Ketogenic Diet for Type 1 Diabetes’ by Ellen Davis & Keith Runyan. I’ve now been keto for the last year, and I’ve been pretty strict. My last HbA1c was 46 mmol/mol (6.4%), the lowest it’s ever been since my honeymoon period.

Before starting, I didn’t know lipids could change on keto, let alone so dramatically, so I didn’t have them tested, but I’ve found some results from my past medical notes. Historically, my total cholesterol (TC) has always been < 5 mmol/l (195 mg/dl). All figures below are presented as mmol/l (mg/dl), except the Apo A1/B – sorry, I don’t know the units (or US equivalent values).

20 Jan 2017:
TC 4.8 (185)
HDL 1.6 (60)
LDL 2.4 (92)

29 Aug 2018:
TC 21.5 (831)
HDL 3.1 (120)
LDL 16.8 (650)
TG 3.5 (310)

23 Oct 2018:
TC 22.1 (855)
HDL 3.2 (124)
LDL 17.9 (692)
TG 2.3 (204)
Apo A1 1.31
Apo B > 4.00

2 Jan 2019:
HDL 3.0 (116)
LDL 12.5 (483)
TG 1.5 (133)

I may be a lean mass hyper-responder, although my trigs are still on the high side. I’ve always been lean, though.

What’s prompted this post is the following: I had a coronary CT scan on Monday, and the cardiologist phoned me today to say there is a narrowing in one of my arteries. He explained that the lesion could be a matter of millimetres in thickness, and that the resolution of the CT image is only good down to about one millimetre. So he is going to arrange an angiogram to get a better picture of what’s going on. He said the lesion is likely to have been developing over a number of years, but we don’t know whether the ketogenic diet may have improved it or aggravated it.

Elsewhere, my retinopathy has increased and I now have mild neuropathy in my feet. I understand this is normal when BG control is tightened up significantly, and I’m hoping these will ameliorate in the longer term with continued tight BG control. As a matter of fact, I’ve also had retinal screening today which shows tentative signs of improvement. I wonder whether the lesion shown on the scan may follow the same pattern?

What worries me most is that my LDL count is still very high, and that my Apo B result is above the measured range. According to Tom Dayspring, the latter of these in particular is very bad! I hope to get an NMR lipid panel done in the near future. I’ve read ‘Cholesterol Clarity’ by Jimmy Moore, and ‘The Great Cholesterol Con’ by Malcolm Kendrick. These gave some reassurance, but I’m still concerned.

If anyone can offer advice or direct me to further information, I will be very grateful. Thanks for reading.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.

Veryanxious

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
"I realised I was overdoing it" may I ask how?
i started adding extra big chunk of butter on top of my cooked vegetables, which I have had already cooked in two or three full spoon of ghee.
I don't want to overdo on fat as many a times i eat carb loaded meals.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
i started adding extra big chunk of butter on top of my cooked vegetables, which I have had already cooked in two or three full spoon of ghee.
I don't want to overdo on fat as many a times i eat carb loaded meals.

'Carb loaded'? A diet high in fats and carbs is ill advised but why not go lower carb rather than lower healthy fats seeing as how you have PreD?

Veryanxious

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
'Carb loaded'? A diet high in fats and carbs is ill advised but why not go lower carb rather than lower healthy fats seeing as how you have PreD?
I am at low carbs but sometimes it just become difficult to stay low carb when food is not readily available. I don't want to go high fat either. Because i cannot measure how much fat should i consume. I am now a days doing moderate protein, moderate fat and still in ketosis.

Reactions: Colin of Kent

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Funnily enough, my wife made the same point to me today. I've been accustomed to eating large meals all my life, and never putting on weight. As a result, I now have it in my head that I 'need' extra fat on everything to keep myself satiated. But I may well be overdoing it, too. I did track my macros in the beginning, but quickly found I got the hang of it easily enough, so haven't bothered lately. Maybe I should start tracking again, and also include breakdown of SFA/MUFA/PUFA.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Colin of Kent - You've had a bit of a curved ball thrown into the mix there. Why was the scan originally ordered? Were you experiencing any symptoms?

You've done quite a bit of reading, and become well informed, so I have little to add, except to mayb esee if Professor Sikaris has anything useful on YouTube? I'm a bit of a Professor Siakris groupie, as he explains everything so clearly and simply.

Of course, there my be nothing, but for lipids in particular, he's my go-to guy.

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Colin of Kent - You've had a bit of a curved ball thrown into the mix there. Why was the scan originally ordered? Were you experiencing any symptoms?

You've done quite a bit of reading, and become well informed, so I have little to add, except to mayb esee if Professor Sikaris has anything useful on YouTube? I'm a bit of a Professor Siakris groupie, as he explains everything so clearly and simply.

Of course, there my be nothing, but for lipids in particular, he's my go-to guy.
Thank you. I'm aware of Ken Sikaris' work, and have listened to him talking on the '2 Keto Dudes' podacst, and seen a few of his YouTube videos. I will have a look for maore, though, aas my research thus far is far from exhaustive.

I asked my endocrinologist for the scan myself, after reading 'Cholesterol Clarity' by Moore & Westman, and 'The Great Cholesterol Con' by Kendrick. I figured, this scan actually shows what's going on right now, rather than speculating about the potential impact of lipids, this is a clear picture. I've no symptoms.

I have found one article showing keto causes stiff arteries.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1059131113003397
This study is interesting, but this thread discusses it with some key points, like the specific formulation of the diet, macro proportions and type of fat consumed.