Coronavirus

Mike Sixx

I am not very optimistic on my chances with CORVID-19. I have T2 and borderline Hypertension so if the death rates of both conditions are cumulative that would mean I'dd have better chances surviving a round of Russian roulette- 1/6 odds - than CORVID-19. And since surviving CORVID-19 does not give you immunity, it is not many times I can beat those odds. Or even just the CORVID-19's 9.2% mortality rate among people with diabetes
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/.

I made my peace with it, if it kills me it kills me, no point worrying about it. At least it will be fairly quick and easy death, at least compared to Diabetes. Besides the way things are going the next decade might not be something I want to hang around for, specially with Diabetes; recession, scarcity and totally overwhelmed health care system.

There is no really a point worrying about death. It is not likely you get to regret it ; ) I only worry about by girlfriend and the impact on her life, she will be hurt and I would not be there to protect and help her in the hard times ahead.

All we can do is try to improve our odds; eat right and live as healthy as possible.

Edit.
Italy just told emergency unit to stop treating elderly and patients with multiple conditions.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...rus-outbreak-worsens.html?ito=social-facebook

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The co-morbidities are not clear-cut. In both China and Italy, where mortality rates are worst, in some regions and at some times, the health care systems were overwhelmed, and care was preferentially given to those with the highest chances of surviving...aka those with the fewest risk factors. This can inflate the mortality rates for co-morbidities. In short, diabetics and heart patients died because younger and healthier people got the ICU and the ventilator when there weren't enough to go around.

This is why social distancing and hygiene are critically important. If we all get covid 19, a bunch of us are going to die. If we all get it at the same time, the fatalities will be many times worse, and especially in groups with preexisting conditions.

Mike Sixx

According to the Twitter threads I follow, some Italian doctors have been saying they were unofficially having to do that already for the last 2 days. Lack of ICU beds means they only choose to treat those with better chance of survival. But it is not done on age alone!

Does not bode well for us. I am worried it might not be that far off that they decide altogether stop wasting any resources and for people in high risk group: Cardiovascular, diabetes, hypertension or respiratory illnesses. And diabetes again becomes a death sentence even more than it used to be.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does not bode well for us. I am worried it might not be that far off that they decide altogether stop wasting any resources and for people in high risk group: Cardiovascular, diabetes, hypertension or respiratory illnesses. And diabetes again becomes a death sentence even more than it used to be.
Do you know what...because I control my BG and have had below the radar A1cs since dx I am not going to admit it if hospitslised.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
It would seem that it has come to light that if you have a Covid 19 infection that anti inflammatory medicines such as ibuprofen are not recommended as they can exacerbate the illness

Reactions: slikwipman