ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Reportedly Kaletra is also testing well in combo with hydroxychloroquine in Australia.
so well reportedly that they are rolling it out to 50 hospitals.

jan.steamqueen67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all
I am Type 2 age 52 on Metformin and bp tablets and my husband is type 1 at 69 with lung nodules, i am concerned as i dont know where as type 2 i stand with my work as i work in Ambulance control, a few people in my place of work have already been put off for the 12 weeks what the goverment has put forward ex cancer pt s and asthma ok understandable but i am still in work there has been someone in work with the symptoms of corona and have gone home to self isolate for 7 day, obviously they seem reluctant to tell me and other type 2 s to go home they say we have to wait for occuy health to decide whether we should go home so dont know how long that will be. look i am not afraid to work i know how important my job is but i am scared of getting this and going home to my husband with it, i think type 2s must not come under this 12 week thing, now i know the flu jab wont protect this virus but i am offered the flu jab every year but i cant have it as my face swells up and my eyes so i react to it terrible, so i worry as i cant have that, im so confused by it and worried
J

Last edited:

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all
I am Type 2 age 52 on Metformin and bp tablets and my husband is type 1 at 69 with lung nodules, i am concerned as i dont know where as type 2 i stand with my work as i work in Ambulance control, a few people in my place of work have already been put off for the 12 weeks what the goverment has put forward ex cancer pt s and asthma ok understandable but i am still in work there has been someone in work with the symptoms of corona and have gone home to self isolate for 7 day, obviously they seem reluctant to tell me and other type 2 s to go home they say we have to wait for occuy health to decide whether we should go home so dont know how long that will be. look i am not afraid to work i know how important my job is but i am scared of getting this and going home to my husband with it, i think type 2s must not come under this 12 week thing, now i know the flu jab wont protect this virus but i am offered the flu jab every year but i cant have it as my face swells up and my eyes so i react to it terrible, so i worry as i cant have that, im so confused by it and worried
J

Hi there, we are all in the same boat because there is NO formal protocol, it's all advice and conflicting at that, and we don't yet know exactly WHO falls into the 'underlying health'category. I am hoping that by the start of next week we will have received some concrete instructions! Yes, I know, I am an optimist. My husband gets a flu jab simply because he is over 65 (not over 70) but that in itself (presumably) does not indicate any underlying health condition. As for a 'normal' flu jab, you're right, it makes no odds to this pandemic.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@jan.steamqueen67 @KK123

these seem to be the ones who are about to be subject to the 12 week rule https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...protecting-older-people-and-vulnerable-adults
Note: there are some clinical conditions which put people at even higher risk of severe illness from COVID-19. If you are in this category, next week the NHS in England will directly contact you with advice about the more stringent measures you should take in order to keep yourself and others safe. For now, you should rigorously follow the social distancing advice in full, outlined below.

People falling into this group are those who may be at particular risk due to complex health problems such as:

• people who have received an organ transplant and remain on ongoing immunosuppression medication
  • people with cancer who are undergoing active chemotherapy or radiotherapy
  • people with cancers of the blood or bone marrow such as leukaemia who are at any stage of treatment
  • people with severe chest conditions such as cystic fibrosis or severe asthma (requiring hospital admissions or courses of steroid tablets)
  • people with severe diseases of body systems, such as severe kidney disease (dialysis)

MargaretR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reportedly Kaletra is also testing well in combo with hydroxychloroquine in Australia.
so well reportedly that they are rolling it out to 50 hospitals.

I’ve been on hydroxchloroquine for about 5 years ago for rheumatoid arthritis. It’s an antinflammatory. I stopped taking it about 6 months ago, and it didn’t seem to make much difference. I was having a bad few months, and had forgotten that the optician had asked if I was taking it, and wasn’t too keen.

I saw him last week, and he asked again about it. When I said I’d stopped it, he was very relieved, and said it caused blurred and double vision, and required treatment with a special laser which not many places have.

I suppose it is different taking a morning and evening dose, every day than taking a short course to ward off corona virus, but I’ve got a number of things contributing to blurred eyesight without adding more.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@jan.steamqueen67 @KK123

these seem to be the ones who are about to be subject to the 12 week rule https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...protecting-older-people-and-vulnerable-adults
Note: there are some clinical conditions which put people at even higher risk of severe illness from COVID-19. If you are in this category, next week the NHS in England will directly contact you with advice about the more stringent measures you should take in order to keep yourself and others safe. For now, you should rigorously follow the social distancing advice in full, outlined below.

People falling into this group are those who may be at particular risk due to complex health problems such as:

• people who have received an organ transplant and remain on ongoing immunosuppression medication
  • people with cancer who are undergoing active chemotherapy or radiotherapy
  • people with cancers of the blood or bone marrow such as leukaemia who are at any stage of treatment
  • people with severe chest conditions such as cystic fibrosis or severe asthma (requiring hospital admissions or courses of steroid tablets)
  • people with severe diseases of body systems, such as severe kidney disease (dialysis)

Thank you for that HSSS (very useful). It seems that all people with diabetes are pretty much being advised the same as the general public then, albeit 'strongly advised to work from home & avoid people where possible and if you can'. Hmmmm, to me that makes things trickier because my workplace (and many others) will be more inclined to say 'Oh well, we can't accommodate that'. I hadn't seen this specific info before so many thanks. The 1.4 million the govt keep saying they are sending letters to must be those in that very severe category which makes sense. x

jan.steamqueen67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I don’t think type 2 will be on the list just have to take our chances not good thought

jan.steamqueen67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
sadly unless told by goverment my employer will not send type 2 home so going to be risky for me as work in NHS

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
One thing that I found concerning is that on the BBC this morning when asked about immunity said that even if you have had the Covid 19 infection and recovered that you should still maintain social distancing as immunity is not a given people seem to be having varying levels of immunity and that there have been some cases only a very few though of people being reinfected after recovering.

jan.steamqueen67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i see diabetics are not on the latest list anyway so guess will have to take my chances as wont get the isolation unless symptoms not that i want symptoms as have my husband type 1 at home so im praying take care all

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
From the above link updated today

We are advising those who are at increased risk of severe illness from coronavirus (COVID-19) to be particularly stringent in following social distancing measures.

This group includes those who are:
aged 70 or older (regardless of medical conditions)
under 70 with an underlying health condition listed below (ie anyone instructed to get a flu jab as an adult each year on medical grounds):
chronic (long-term) respiratory diseases, such as asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), emphysema or bronchitis
chronic heart disease, such as heart failure
chronic kidney disease
chronic liver disease, such as hepatitis
chronic neurological conditions, such as Parkinson’s disease, motor neurone disease, multiple sclerosis (MS), a learning disability or cerebral palsy
diabetes
problems with your spleen – for example, sickle cell disease or if you have had your spleen removed
a weakened immune system as the result of conditions such as HIV and AIDS, or medicines such as steroid tablets or chemotherapy
being seriously overweight (a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or above)
those who are pregnant

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I may not be on the list of those going to receive a letter but I am isolating myself as much as possible any way.

jan.steamqueen67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes just seen a post online saying Diabetic s dont come under the guidelines yet it also says we are at risk, well just shows not bothered about us im type 2 and have high blood pressure treated with tablets could not have the flu jab as react badly just going to have to take my chance working in a control room with over 100 people, the goverment have proabably looked how many diabetics there are and taken them of the most at risk list as they would loose too many employees, i may be wrong but thats what i think.
im just dreading if they cancel leave i dont think i could cope with the pressure but we will see eh