Correction Query

Dollyrocker

After my adventures on CGM I have some new carb/insuulin ratios to work to, 1:15 for lunch, 1:20 for dinner.

Can anyone tell me if corrections should be worked out at the food/insulin rate or on a general 1u = 3mmol drop rate?

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There's a calculation to work out your correction ratio that involves the number of units of Novorapid and Lantus that you take daily. I can't remember the exact formula - have you tried phoning your nurse?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
On the DAFNE course we were told that 1 unit of corrective insulin (novorapid) brings down bg by 2-3mmol, but I know from experience that depending upon the time of day it can vary somewhat, so the only true way of knowing is by testing and recording your results. I wasn't aware there was a formula involved in corrections as shedges suggests, so it may be worthwhile asking your dsn if he/she can find this formula for you in the meantime.

Nigel

iHs

The '100 rule' also works. The idea is to divide 100 by your TDD ( total daily dose of insulin) to find out. On bolus/basal it's a bit hit and miss as Nigel says as at certain times of the day your need for insulin alters.

A good way to not over correct with insulin is to use a higher target (8 for example) to correct to. As with everything though, it's all trial and error with eating, testing etc.

Dollyrocker

Thanks guys, since my total insulin vatries so much from day top day (if we are including Novo) I think I'll stock to 1u = -3 for correction and the new ratios for food.

It was the DSN that gave me the new ratios in the first place plus a reduced dose of Lantus (which doesn't work as I told her it wouldn't :rolleyes:)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Dollyrocker said:
Thanks guys, since my total insulin vatries so much from day top day (if we are including Novo) I think I'll stock to 1u = -3 for correction and the new ratios for food.

It was the DSN that gave me the new ratios in the first place plus a reduced dose of Lantus (which doesn't work as I told her it wouldn't :rolleyes:)

Your post-prandial bg results will tell you if 1 unit of insulin brings down your bg by 3mmol, I find personally that 1 unit is enough to reduce my bg by 2mmol.

Nigel