Corrections and Alcohol

Topher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, Just seeing how you use the correction with Alcohol, at what point do you take a correction, (what high level would you be) and how much would you take, and at what point during the night. I know you should snack on a carb during a drink, and have a slice of toast when you get home etc. Thanks

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I wouldn't correct with alcohol as your levels may rise initially can can drop suddenly later on, especially during the night. If you're gonna have a good drink, I'd risk staying slightly higher than norm just to be safe.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'm the same, I would be very reluctant to take a correction dose and go to sleep when I've been drinking alcohol.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Personally, I avoid drinks that will raise my levels. Beer is, unfortunately, out of the equation. Red wines, dry white wines and spirits are fine. If I'm below 6 on a night out, I'll have a beer as it will raise my levels, but that is the only time I drink it.

I don't experience a sudden drop because of alcohol, it's a gradual thing. You may be different though. I find alcohol will affect my levels if I've had more than 2 glasses of wine. I would only give a correction dose if I was in double figures and then I'd be cautious - I don't want a hypo on a night out. When I drank beer, I wouldn't need a carby snack before bed because the highs from the beer would be enough to counteract the fall I'd get.

When I'm out, I test myself every hour, mostly in the vein hope that my levels are suitable for a beer, but it's important to be diligent with your diabetes management if on a night out. Also, don't forget to take your long acting out with you and inject at your usual time.

yvonne1310

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
High blood suger
IDE be very carefull coz I had a mahout hypo after drinking woke to paramedics trying to sort me out !!! Scared the life out of my family coz they cudnt wake me up !! So yeh stayed raised and make sure u eat before U go to bed x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App