corrections

victoria84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi guys
just wondering if im having to keep correcting my novorapid to bring bg levels down because my background isnt high enough?

weeezer

Sounds like a possibility, but it could also be that your insulin:carb ratio isn't high enough, and your just not getting enough insulin to cover the carbs your eating.

If your bg is just higher 2 hours after eating then it's prob as above, but if your bg is higher than you'd like before meals and first thing in morn then I'd think you needed more background.

Pop some readings on here and It'll give more to go on!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

victoria84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i have been taught to carb count using ratio 1-10

it is generally in the morning
last night went to bed it was 9.6 got up it was 15.3
the day before it was 9.2 when going to bed and 12.3 on getting up.

i usually have to correct at evening meal also but i take my background at 7pm so im thinking it is because my background has run out may have to start taking that later.

2 hours after dinner readings will be around 10.3 but then 3-4 hours later when checking before eating it will be around the 15 mark again

weeezer

Ooh yeh that looks like not enough background to me. You could split your background so you cover 24 hrs....of course discuss with dsn, but lots of peeps do this. (I used to have 2/3 at bed then 1/3 in morn, but this moved around when pregnant and ended up being the other way round :/ I'm on pump now so continuous basal)

But looks like you could do with a tad more background anyway.

Bear in mind people ratios aren't all the same, and can change at different times of day. For example my ratio is 1u for 10g in the morn but is 1u for 12g at all other times. But that's on pump, on mdi I used to use 1u for 5g at breakfast and 1u for 10g for lunch/tea/snacks. Many people require extra insulin with breakfast, but maybe you require more in the evenings?

But I am jumping ahead...maybe an increase of background will sort it all and there may not be a need to look at ratios!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

victoria84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
thank you very much for your help weeezer much appreciated, at least i know im doing everything i should be. i see my dsn on a weekly basis at the mo i see her again tuesday.

thankis again for your advice :thumbup:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
victoria84 said:
hi guys
just wondering if im having to keep correcting my novorapid to bring bg levels down because my background isnt high enough?

Best way to find out is by doing a fasting check, for example eat breakfast as per normal and miss your lunch, or alternatively eat lunch and miss your evening meal, if your bg still climbs four hours after you last injected then it's likely that your basal dose is too low.

You have to remember not to inject any QA insulin when you do skip a meal, once your basal dose is right you can then concentrate on your meal-time ratio's.

victoria84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the advice Noblehead I will give that a try. I rang my dsn and she told me to up basal by 2 units untill she can see me Tuesday to look at my book. she said it takes 3 days to get into my system properly so I will try that experiment on monday if still getting same results ready to show her results.

What a great idea. Thank you :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I would go along with what the DSN suggests for now, when you see her ask about ask Fasting checks as she may have a booklet explaining it all.