Cortisol & Diabetes?

Lizzie7

Hi guys,

A friend lent me a book about cholesterol and statins. It's quite complicated (for me anyway!) but it devotes a whole chapter to the HPA axis (the system in the body controlling hormones such as cortisol, insulin etc). The authors' hypothesis was that stress causes disturbances in this HPA axis by increasing cortsiol production and that this elevated cortsiol level eventually leads to heart disease, diabetes and other metabolic disorders.

I'm interested in this as I don't fit any of the traditional criteria for type 2 and there is no-one with diabetes in my immediate or extended family. My consultant is not sure which kind I have yet and is waiting to see what happens! I do have a very stressful job and a stressful home life. I also get worked up and anxious easily.

Is there any connection between diabetes and cortisol? If so, do you know where I can find out more info such as medical research?

Thanks again in advance! x

tulip87

Hi Lizzie,

I don't know if there is a widely "known" link between cortisol and diabetes, although as your book said one of the effects of cortisol in preparing the body for stress is to increase release of glucose (increasing sugar levels): in fact people with excess cortisol often have diabetes.

I answered your post though because according to my consultant, close monitoring of my blood sugars mimics the daily variation in cortisol levels almost exactly (the times of day when cortisol rises, my sugar rises). The most striking feature of my diabetes has always been high morning fasting sugars, which start rising about 4-5am. I too am not a typical type 2, although am considered a MODY - genetic form (I do have some family history).

I am not sure I can help you with medical research (from what my consultant said I am not sure how much there is in terms of looking at an oversensitive response to cortisol causing diabetes), however do message me if you'd like to discuss further.

Stress certainly increases my (and I think most diabetics) blood sugars a lot, and if there is any way you can manage this you might notice some improvement? This is not always that easy though I know... How is your diabetes managed at the moment? Has the consultant run antibody and C-peptide tests to check you are not a slow onset type 1? (LADA)

Sorry to bombard you with questions.
Best wishes

Lizzie7

Hi there,

Thanks for answering my post and info re: cortsiol and blood sugar.

I was diagnosed in July and on diet only. I asked for a C-peptide test but consultant said they don't do them on the NHS and even if they did he didn't have anything to compare the results against to tell me what a normal level is :roll: He said they treat adults with type 1 and type 2 the same initially although he did say I could sign up for a research study which would measure my C-peptide level and they would tell me the result. So it's wait and see!

When I was diagnosed my white blood count was very high although there were no obvious signs of infection. I've also lost a huge amount of weight even though my BMI was normal at diagnosis. Weight loss hasn't slowed down and is averaging 1-2 pounds a day even though I'm eating more calories. Consultant says it's either fluid loss as high blood glucose causes the body to retain water or I have form of type 1 - again it's wait and see.

Blood glucose follows the pattern of type 2 with normal fasting numbers and high post meal numbers. A1C at diagnosis was 10% and three weeks later 6.7%. If it was a form of type 1 wouldn't this be higher?

My diabetes symptoms came on suddenly in the space of a week (blurry vision, running to the loo, fatigue) and this prompted me to go to the GP. Even though my bgs are now well controlled for most of the day and I don't have obvious symptoms I still don't feel well at all. Nothing specific, just a general feeling of being unwell, light headed and tired.

Guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens...

xx

FordPrefect

My diabetologist had my cortisol levels checked when he first saw me as apparently a type of diabetes can be caused by high cortisol levels. From what he said though its rather rare, I had to do 2 24 hour urine collections a week apart. Was a pain but at least it was ruled out.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
One of the side effects of long term steroid use is diabetes, my diabetes was steroid induced after taking corticosteroid for 2 1/2 years. I am not a normal Type 2 as I required insulin form diagnosis, in fact I need between 7 and 8 units of Humulin I to keep my bg levels even through the night.

I am presently reducing my steroids and hope to come off them completely after another 2 months, although it doesnt look as though I will be able to come off insulin at the moment :(

High levels of cortisol decreases metabolism of glucose and increases mobilization and metabolism of fats. Decreased metabolism of glucose contributes to increased blood glucose levels, and increased blood fat levels contributes to insulin resistance. Increased levels of blood glucose and blood fats are classic symptoms of diabetes. When blood cortisol levels are too high, insulin will not lower blood sugar.

Source

flashasarat

Hi Lizzie,
Are you still grappling with this one? Yes, Cortisol causes Diabetes.
Doctors are told by pharmaceutical companies its doesn’t and patients are told by doctors in turn...
…so, every one will tell you Cortisol has nothing to do with it. But…

Cortisol causes diabetes, fact. Also, is one of the only documented causes. Further, all types of diabetes 2 have elevated cortisol levels from either emotional or physiological stress as there common factor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cushing%27s_syndrome

http://www.essenceofstressrelief.com/general-adaptation-syndrome.html

Please read this before ranting everyone. You will notice not only the cause of Diabetes two but the cause of all the “risk factors” as well.

The test for Cortisol is very difficult to do (correctly), so doctors don’t do it when they can hand you a “you’re a diabetic” diagnosis. It’s just good practice in their eyes not to go looking for a mystery when they already have a treatment for diabetes. The amount of Cortisol that is damaging at sustained levels is much lower than that of the level that is considered dangerous at any one time. So if you have non-abating stress for several months you will start to develop diabetes regardless of who you are, even of your instantaneous cortisol level reads “normal”. Even though your cortisol levels may test as “normal” at the point of being tested you are still doing yourself progressive damage.

The treatments for type 2 are only treating the symptoms and will never cure you without other measures. You need to address your long-term stress. Exercise and diet are important, but not for the reason you have been told. You must eat a healthy diet to give yourself the best chance of recovery. You don’t need to be on any special restrictive diet – just normal and healthy. Exercise too is key, but you must enjoy it. Diet and exercise will help you fight stress more than anything else. You need to make yourself happy - everyday.

Ultimately you need to let go of the things that are stressing you. They wouldn’t be giving you trouble if that was an easy thing to do. But is it worth killing yourself? Find a way to eliminate the worst ones.

While I would love to quote some studies to back up my “wild theories” I can only point you to two documentaries I saw while forming this opinion:

“Stress: Portrait of a Killer” and “Dead Tired: Awake is the new sleep”.

They do not make any claims that are not based on proven fact and evidence. But at the same time, they are not scientific studies into stress cortisol and diabetes. To my knowledge there are no scientific studies into the causal relationship between stress, cortisol and diabetes.

I guess you can either see the logical link or you can’t. If you can you are on the path to recovery. If you can’t may I ask you to consider how you got a strong negative opinion, with no evidence, which contradicts scientifically proven facts?

Hope it helps
Mike.

Perro

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's 100 percent right Mike. Stress and/or Cortisol is a major factor.
All the best.
PeR

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,

This thread is almost 7 years old - does anyone have any updates or better links for this?

Thanks,

Sock