Cortisone Injection

adam_forman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I recently got a cortisone injection into my knee, and i read the side effects that blood glucose rising are a side effect. I have taken the adequate correction dosages but my levels keep rising

Is there anything else you guys and gals can think of!

Thanks

Reactions: Freema

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @adam_forman Unfortunately i've had them too as there's not much you can do except ride out the storm with correction doses, they take a few days to settle down, so just keep an eye on your BG levels with lots of testing and correct when you can.

Reactions: Freema
D

Deleted Account

Unfortunately, this is the consequence of cortisone injections.
When I have had them, I have increased my basal insulin for a few days. I had to keep a close eye on my BG to ensure I didn't over do it and to notice when my BG was coming down (it coincided closely with when the pain started to subside) so I could bring my basal insulin back to normal. But raising the basal insulin meant I had to do less bolus corrections so, for me, I found this better. It also helped keep my BG under a bit more control when I was not able to correct (e.g. when I was asleep).
The last time, I had cortisone, I think I increased my basal by about 30% for 4 days.

I hope your knee starts feeling better soon.

adam_forman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you!! I have slightly increased my basal, but not up to 30%. Might try the sick day function kn the pump to see if that works