could anyone tell me what my sugar levels should be and what is high / low normal

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am toally lost as to what my sugar levels should be , all I do know did my first test today at 8.30 only had coffe with mik and my reading was 10.6 ?
You're aiming for 4 to 7 mmol/l at pre-meal/fasting, and a maximum of 8.5 mmol/l 2 hours after a meal. But you're new, I think, at this whole diabetes thing, so your blood sugars are bound to be higher than that. Your body is used to being hyperglycemic, so even if you have less carbohydrates/sugars going in, your liver will do a glucose dump because it thinks this is how much you need to keep going. It believes it's helping, and it'll take some time for it to get used to normal numbers. So don't panic if you're not in the ideal range right now, eh. It takes a little while. If you test before a meal, and two hours after the first bite, you're aiming for a rise of no more, and preferably less than 2.0 mmol/l. If you keep that up, your body gets used to normal numbers and those'll start going down, so even your fasting levels will make more sense than they do now. Your liver will calm down some eventually. ;)
https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html might help some in getting your blood sugars down, but since I don't know what you're on, do be careful if you try this. "Treatment type: other" doesn't tell me a whole lot. If you're on gliclazide, lowering your carb intake can induce hypo's, for instance. No chance of that if you're on metformin, say. So when you have a question, throw as much information at us as you possibly can, even things that don't seem to be relevant, so we can give a proper answer that fits your needs.

Anyway, welcome, and if we can help with anything, give a shout!
Jo

Reactions: wyndways

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi - it might help you to look at what a non-diabetic person's BG does throughout the day - it goes up and down, as you'll see from the CGM graph attached (it's not mine - there are hundreds of these on the internet). It's not hard to spot the points where this person had something to eat.

So there's no "steady state" - our BGs will change in response to what we eat, but also in response to exercise, stress, temperature - basically what our livers decide we might need at any given point.

The testing as Jo describes above shows you how well (or not) your system copes with what you ate. We all see rises in the first hour after eating a quantity of carbs: I can go over 9 after 30 minutes with just one small latte. The crucial thing is how well your system does at getting the excess glucose out of the bloodstream and ideally into muscle tissue.

Attachments

• non-diabetic 1-day cgm.jpg
    non-diabetic 1-day cgm.jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 74