Could be better but ...

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had my most recent HbA1c result - was hoping to go lower but it was 51. I was a bit disappointed to start with but considering it has been knocking around 68 or so for two years then that is pretty good 6 months in.

I'm running at an average of between 6-7 most days and lunch and evening meal rarely raise the BG more than 1 - it's the morning that remains a problem - but I'm working on it.

I wake in high 6's with the odd low 7 and if I can have breakfast and sit for an hour or so reading work paperwork before getting washed and dressed then I end up in low 8 numbers.

However days when I go to actual work are still taking me up to 9's due to my liver interpreting the morning shower, hair, dressing and make-up routine as some form of major exercise and pumping out the glucagon

I've tried showering in the evening ready for the next day but, being a lady of a certain age who has to sleep with one leg out of the covers, I don't wake up fresh enough to go to work without another shower! ... and don't even look at the hair!

This seems to be the main problem area so I'm keeping on with the liver blocks and hoping that my liver will soon learn the new regime!

Just off to a very slow shower etc before my first three days of actual work this week!

Reactions: Prem51

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
That's a lovely drop so well done.

No advice to offer on the morning issue, except skip make-up? Giggle... X

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You are getting there, so time for a bit of fine tuning....

Some basic resistance training may help (it does not need to be at the gym).

I expect you are eating a lot of protein, protein is converted slowly into glucose by the liver, so cutting back a little on protein and having more fat may help.

23hr fasting may help - often call intermittent fasting. (A few days a week you just have breakfast or dinner.)

Reactions: Ultramum and Prem51

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Had my most recent HbA1c result - was hoping to go lower but it was 51. I was a bit disappointed to start with but considering it has been knocking around 68 or so for two years then that is pretty good 6 months in.

I'm running at an average of between 6-7 most days and lunch and evening meal rarely raise the BG more than 1 - it's the morning that remains a problem - but I'm working on it.

I wake in high 6's with the odd low 7 and if I can have breakfast and sit for an hour or so reading work paperwork before getting washed and dressed then I end up in low 8 numbers.

However days when I go to actual work are still taking me up to 9's due to my liver interpreting the morning shower, hair, dressing and make-up routine as some form of major exercise and pumping out the glucagon

I've tried showering in the evening ready for the next day but, being a lady of a certain age who has to sleep with one leg out of the covers, I don't wake up fresh enough to go to work without another shower! ... and don't even look at the hair!

This seems to be the main problem area so I'm keeping on with the liver blocks and hoping that my liver will soon learn the new regime!

Just off to a very slow shower etc before my first three days of actual work this week!
Excellent job!! Those mornings sure can mess us up. Have you tried just grabbing something small and quick right when you get up even if you can't sit and eat it ! Small Piece of cheese? A few nuts? Bite of leftovers? When I was type 2 I found just a quick bite of something ( not carby ) was enough to create a small insulin response and stop the rise. Nothing that will raise us, just enough to wake up our insulin. It worked for me. Maybe it's ll work for you.

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You are getting there, so time for a bit of fine tuning....

Some basic resistance training may help (it does not need to be at the gym).

I expect you are eating a lot of protein, protein is converted slowly into glucose by the liver, so cutting back a little on protein and having more fat may help.

23hr fasting may help - often call intermittent fasting. (A few days a week you just have breakfast or dinner.)
At the moment my back is limiting what I can manage exercise wise - walking is ok but today it was even threatening to go into spasm just doing my lunch hour walk. Just doing my bean tin arm exercises with some core muscle exercises at the moment - any ideas gratefully received

BTW - anything above about 3 mph also sends my liver into overdrive :-(

I'm following mostly diet doctor recipes at 80% day so don't want to up it too much as the weight loss is extremely slow - skipping lunch on about 3-4 days per week as not hungry - today has been 4 mushrooms cooked in butter, 2 egg cheese omelette (25 g cheese) and I've just had another 25 g of cheddar as not hungry for tea.

Last edited:

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Excellent job!! Those mornings sure can mess us up. Have you tried just grabbing something small and quick right when you get up even if you can't sit and eat it ! Small Piece of cheese? A few nuts? Bite of leftovers? When I was type 2 I found just a quick bite of something ( not carby ) was enough to create a small insulin response and stop the rise. Nothing that will raise us, just enough to wake up our insulin. It worked for me. Maybe it's ll work for you.
Breakfast is ready about 5 minutes after I wake up ...

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's a great drop @Ultramum

Can't offer specific advice on the morning thing. It's been an issue for me too, which seems to be gradually improving over time, but liver still throws a wobbly ever now and then with an unexpectedly high liver dump.

Reactions: Ultramum

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Using my free style libre monitor -
I find my morning rise very closely correlates with
how late in the previous evening (later bad)
how much protein was in the meal (higher bad)
how high my calorie intake was ( deficit good- the bigger the better)

also I have found that whilst I have a natural increase of 1-2 mmols in the mornings on getting up, (that is not what happened overnight. my overnight numbers remain pretty much what I went to bed with. Once the rise happens in the morning it comes down gradually over the next three hours . It makes no difference at all if I eat anything or not during that period, the rate of fall is pretty much constant.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
BTW - anything above about 3 mph also sends my liver into overdrive :-(

This is not a problem as when you stop exercising the liver must use up some BG to refill, hene giving you better BG control over the next day or so.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
This is not a problem as when you stop exercising the liver must use up some BG to refill, hene giving you better BG control over the next day or so.
I disagreee. Exercise raises me every time and require insulin to bring me down. I never get the big drop.

We are all different. Bg can just hang out whenever it wants. And if glycogen stores are full it has no where to go. Even in keto land, where my glycogen stores are never full, it still requires insulin.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Exercise raises me every time, whether it be walking on uneven ground, up inclines, cleaning windows, gardening, vacuuming the whole house, whatever. I also never see a big drop. My ordinary dog walks, on the flat but with a dog that thinks she is pulling a sledge, are OK.

When I first joined the forum in 2014 I read the advice to run up and down the stairs 10 to 20 times after a carby meal. Pfuff. It just made it all worse. :banghead:

Reactions: Ultramum

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Exercise raises me every time, whether it be walking on uneven ground, up inclines, cleaning windows, gardening, vacuuming the whole house, whatever. I also never see a big drop. My ordinary dog walks, on the flat but with a dog that thinks she is pulling a sledge, are OK.

When I first joined the forum in 2014 I read the advice to run up and down the stairs 10 to 20 times after a carby meal. Pfuff. It just made it all worse. :banghead:
That seems to be my body's response at present ... Even my "avoid the dawdling shoppers' pace can take me from 6.5 to 10 at lunchtime without any food at all - and I am still in the 8's at 3.15pm

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you losing weight?
Do you feel you need to eat less or different to keep bg down?