Could I be misdiagnosed

Maggyanne1950

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I have had 2 blood tests to check my blood sugar, 6 months apart. The first reading was 74mmol and the second was 73mmol.
I have been referred to go on a course to teach me to eat better.

I have read a lot of posts on here which say that to test blood sugar you should test 2 hours after a meal. My second blood test was only one and a half hours after my breakfast. They did not ask when I had eaten.

I am the correct weight for my height and eat a low GI/GL diet.

Could this be just a badly timed blood test? I would love to hear the opinion of some of you, whom I regard as experts on this because you test yourselves all the time.

Thank you

Maggy

Reactions: Guzzler
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's unlikely to be a badly timed blood test. The numbers are likely to be mmol/mol which indicates that the tests were for Hba1c. This does not need you to fast before the test since it looks at blood sugar levels for the previous three months and the last hour is not significant.

Reactions: Freema

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @Squire Fulwood. You did not say which test it was, but it was probably the HbA1c (I suggest that you double-check that it was). It is possible, but very unlikely, that one such test could be erroneous. Two of them, six months apart, and with almost exactly the same result....

As for "badly timed" (and again assuming it was the HbA1c) there isn't really such a thing as a "badly timed" HbA1c. That's because it measures the average level of glucose in your blood over the previous 8 to 12 weeks. So even if it is taken at a time of day when your blood glucose happens to be very high for some reason, that will have zero effect on the HbA1c. That is a key reason why it is the "standard" for diagnosing diabetes.

Finally: Your number is high enough that it is well into the range where diabetes would normally be diagnosed. That number, here in America, is 48 (6.5%) and a similar standard is used in the UK.

I do suggest that you contact your doctor to clarify matters. If confirmed, your diagnosis will probably come as a big shock. Like you, I doubted my diagnosis when it came nine months ago and contacted the doctor's office. It turns out they had tested twice, and it is good that they tested you twice too.

Reactions: Freema and ziggy_w

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
As has been said above, the post meal reading and the diagnostic readings are different tests. It is not common to be misdiagnosed as with diabetes though there are some people who are misdiagnosed as to what type of diabetes they have.
The course you have been referred to may be the 'Desmond' course (?).
I suggest that you ask for a printout of your test results to date and when you get it we can help you to make more sense of where you stand.
Welcome to the forum, it is good to see you. Tagging @daisy1 for you who will swing by and give you some really good advice offered to the newly diagnosed.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Maggyanne1950

Hello Maggy and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you like and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have had 2 blood tests to check my blood sugar, 6 months apart. The first reading was 74mmol and the second was 73mmol.
I have been referred to go on a course to teach me to eat better.

I have read a lot of posts on here which say that to test blood sugar you should test 2 hours after a meal. My second blood test was only one and a half hours after my breakfast. They did not ask when I had eaten.

I am the correct weight for my height and eat a low GI/GL diet.

Could this be just a badly timed blood test? I would love to hear the opinion of some of you, whom I regard as experts on this because you test yourselves all the time.

Thank you

Maggy

I agree with everything the others have said. With an hbalc that high at your first test your gp should not have waited 6 months for a second test.

Some questions? You do not, of course have to answer, but it does help to target advice.
Are you on any other medication?
Have you lost weight recently?
Do you have any other health problems?
and how old are you?

As to weight , my skinny mum and her equally skinny 3 sisters all have/had t2d. Her other 2 overweight sisters also have t2d. It seems that nobody really knows why some people develop t2d and why most obese people do not. It is not as simple as just being fat.

Good luck with it all, and do keep posting.

And unfortunately, low GI and GL food can contain just as many carbs as the ordinary stuff.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I second @Kentoldlady1. I have been thin all my life, although had put on some weight in the years leading up to my Type 2 diabetes diagnosis nine months ago. My diagnosis was a big shock because I was under the misapprehension that it "only happens to obese people."

The good news is that some of us are able to "reverse" Type 2 diabetes (i.e. lower our blood glucose to "non-diabetic" levels) by adopting a low-carbohydrate lifestyle, sometimes even without taking any diabetes drugs. I did it in less than three months (see signature below) and you will find on this forum the success stories of a surprisingly large number of people who have done the same thing.

The information already provided by @daisy1 is a great starting point.

If you are interested in the "low-carb" route I usually point people in the direction of these two web links:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diet/low-carb-diabetes-diet.html (for basic information about low-carb, and to help decide what kind of low-carb route to go for).

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb (for recipes, and comprehensive information about the carb content of common foods).

If your diagnosis is confirmed, this forum is a great place for support and information. Take care.

Last edited: