Could it be Dawn Phenomenon?

A

AnnieC

Hi and thanks again, sorry to hear you went 4 yrs with no follow up. If I'm diagnosed as glucose intolerant does it mean medication or could I control through diet ?

I was diagnosed as glucose intolerant over 8 years ago have a fasting blood test each year and still classed as prediabetic but never had any medication I just avoid high sugar stuff like cakes and biscuits and I don't eat other starchy foods like bread pasta and rice I also do low fat but many on here will not advise that but we are all different so each to our own

Pegi

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes, my mom has been diabetic for about 30 years.
I think your body is adjusting to something... You've had a virus thing in your ear and that can be very significant. It could have left you with something that is lingering. It'll be a process of elimination but you'll get it sorted in the end.
Waking suddenly out of a sleep can be a sign of depression. I'm on anti-deps and it happens to me sometimes.
When you get the results of your A1c test, that will put your mind at rest about BGs.
Let us know what it is, won't you, pls.

You had a thyroid test.. was that OK?

Thanks for your reply.
The middle ear virus could be significant in all this, my sleep problem began shortly after that, about a month or so later. Could be a coincidence between starting beta blockers too as I have phases of acute anxiety. It was 4.22 am again this morning, I couldn't snooze during the day yesterday either despite feeling the need to sleep, am worried in case I don't get enough sleep but my body will make me sleep early evening if really tired, I'm finding it really difficult. It's Weds today, they should get the results of the tests at the Dr's , am getting myself in a real state of anxiety just at the thought : ( Will let you know what it is later.

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Disregard for authority. Noise.
Thanks for your reply.
The middle ear virus could be significant in all this, my sleep problem began shortly after that, about a month or so later. Could be a coincidence between starting beta blockers too as I have phases of acute anxiety. It was 4.22 am again this morning, I couldn't snooze during the day yesterday either despite feeling the need to sleep, am worried in case I don't get enough sleep but my body will make me sleep early evening if really tired, I'm finding it really difficult. It's Weds today, they should get the results of the tests at the Dr's , am getting myself in a real state of anxiety just at the thought : ( Will let you know what it is later.
Don't worry... deep breaths ...

Pegi

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks for your understanding.
They give out results between 11am and 3pm. My husband mentioned that if anything was wrong they would contact me like they did with the first test, I don't think that is always the case with them.

Oops forgot, you asked about the thyroid, that came back ok.

Pegi

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I was diagnosed as glucose intolerant over 8 years ago have a fasting blood test each year and still classed as prediabetic but never had any medication I just avoid high sugar stuff like cakes and biscuits and I don't eat other starchy foods like bread pasta and rice I also do low fat but many on here will not advise that but we are all different so each to our own

Hi Annie, sorry I missed your reply.

Sorry to hear you're prediabetic, you're doing well. Should get the results today hopefully.

If you avoid bread what do you have instead if you don't mind me asking. I avoid cakes and biscuits but do need a small amount of sugar in my daily diet otherwise I get hypo.

C

catherinecherub

Pegi,

You really need to relax. Stress will raise your blood sugars and that is the last thing you need.

Whatever the results, there are plenty of people here who can help you. Worrying about something that you cannot change is counter-productive.

Busy yourself today so that you do not have time to worry.

Pegi

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Rang the Dr's surgery, phew , was told test result is normal !
I was told they couldn't do the glucose as it had been put in the wrong bottle, such carelessness.

I asked about the HbA1c and at first she didn't seem to know what I was on about, it's 42.
Is the HbA1c conclusive ? I asked her if I'm prediabetic and she said normal. I asked if the Dr had left any comments which he hadn't so I said well we'll leave it at that then.

Would welcome any comments, thanks in advance .

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yay.. that's excellent news. I would've been very suprised if it had been in diabetic range, from what you've said so far. I don't think it is conclusive as such, but it shows that your BG levels have been well controlled for at least the past 12 weeks.

Pegi

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Is the Hb1Ac a conclusive test for diabetes ?

Just checking .

Thanks in advance.

Pegi

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yay.. that's excellent news. I would've been very suprised if it had been in diabetic range, from what you've said so far. I don't think it is conclusive as such, but it shows that your BG levels have been well controlled for at least the past 12 weeks.

Thanks DiamondAsh,

I presume they don't need another glucose test after the one put in wrong bottle.

She asked me if I wanted it doing again, not that the Dr wants it doing, no mention of him, I decided against since I can't go through the fasting again.

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks DiamondAsh,

I presume they don't need another glucose test after the one put in wrong bottle.

She asked me if I wanted it doing again, not that the Dr wants it doing, no mention of him, I decided against since I can't go through the fasting again.
I agree. Even if you had a high glucose reading the A1c would be used in conjunction with that, and as it is normal there's no need. At least that's the way I see it... others will enlighten in time.

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
In addition.. if I was asked to do a fasting glucose test in future , as in the past, I would say that I can't go that long without food. I wouldn't want to do one... simple as.

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Is the Hb1Ac a conclusive test for diabetes ?

Just checking .

Thanks in advance.
I do believe that it is THE test to prove Diabetes.. yes. But it is also one of a number of other tests that they would do if diabetes was suspected...
(please double check)

JennyP

I was wondering if any Dr has tested your cortisol levels ? An 8 am blood test for cortisol may show if you are deficient. The body starts making cortisol around 4am and this peaks around 6am in a healthy person... which then gives us the energy to get up, and make the day work. This level then declines all day until it is very low at midnight... for the body to sleep and heal. If there is a deficiency - our sleep is disrupted around 4am instead. And yes you may wake up in a sweat at this time as that is the adrenalin you are making instead ( trying to compensate)

This would also have an effect on your fasting Glucose levels... they would appear lower than they are ... I have Adrenal Insufficiency dxed, and this masked my Diabetes for a decade. Once my AI was treated then my Diabetes started to show although I was still dxed with a post meal reading instead of a GTT or fasting test. My fasting glucose levels are never accurate ( as taking cortisone tablets never is 100% like what the body makes naturally).

It may be worth seeing an Endo for a complete hormone panel of tests ?

Pegi

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I was wondering if any Dr has tested your cortisol levels ? An 8 am blood test for cortisol may show if you are deficient. The body starts making cortisol around 4am and this peaks around 6am in a healthy person... which then gives us the energy to get up, and make the day work. This level then declines all day until it is very low at midnight... for the body to sleep and heal. If there is a deficiency - our sleep is disrupted around 4am instead. And yes you may wake up in a sweat at this time as that is the adrenalin you are making instead ( trying to compensate)

This would also have an effect on your fasting Glucose levels... they would appear lower than they are ... I have Adrenal Insufficiency dxed, and this masked my Diabetes for a decade. Once my AI was treated then my Diabetes started to show although I was still dxed with a post meal reading instead of a GTT or fasting test. My fasting glucose levels are never accurate ( as taking cortisone tablets never is 100% like what the body makes naturally).

It may be worth seeing an Endo for a complete hormone panel of tests ?

Hi JennyP, thanks for your reply.
I haven't had the cortisol tested, they only do the basic blood tests here.
As I'm housebound with severe agoraphobia as well, there is no hope of my seeing an Endo at this moment in time, I'm also recovering from viral labyrinthitis so there are a lot of issues involved.
Am pleased to say that my sleep is getting better now so far, hope it continues. My GP said it's all related to the labyrinthitis which is a horrible illness.