Could it be Dawn Phenomenon?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much for your detailed reply, much appreciated.
I had the tests carried out at home last Thursday morning by the district nurse. I was the first patient. She would then have to get all tests to the local hospital. The results of yours was very quick. Do you think I should phone my Dr's surgery for the results or will they get back to me ? I don't know the procedure and forgot to ask the nurse. The first test a week previously again taken on a Thursday was back by 4.30 the following day. As you mention, it could be they've got lots to process especially on a Thursday- Friday.

At my surgery the results are always back within 2 days, although your GP may not have seen them. If you ring the receptionist she will tell you, and if you ask nicely she will tell you what the HbA1c says. Good luck!

As for weight, have you checked your BMI?
http://www.bupa.co.uk/jahia/Jahia/s...formation/tools-calculators/hi-bmi-calculator

Pegi

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Diet and exercise only. I was diagnosed type 2 with fasting level of 8 and I don't take meds. I've managed to get my fasting to 7.0 through diet and exercise only. I know it's just a matter of a bit more time before I get lower than that.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Thanks Joe, you're doing well.
Am finding things a bit overwhelming at the moment.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I'm just wondering if this was caused by the virus I had before Xmas , I had viral labyrinthitis,
I lost my balance completely and though I'm getting better, balance is not what it was so exercising becomes very difficult , also I get fatigued easily. I guess I'll have to reduce the carbs / sugars.
Those of you who have been diagnosed, where do you obtain your diet guidance from please ? Does the diabetic nurse give a diet sheet ? Or do you work it all out yourself ? I've become used to eating little and often to prevent feeling that my sugar has dropped even when maybe it hasn't. I'm also dealing with severe agoraphobia for over 20 yrs. which limits my activities.
Exercise doesn't have to mean going out. I have no clue of you current medical condition but even a few trips up and down the stairs ( if you have them ) will help.. As for diet, you can see a dietician but current NHS advice on food is not great to be honest. There are many threads on this forum and you will get different responses by different people. The one thing that most agree on however is to try to lower sugar/carb intake. This includes potato, bread, rice, pasta along with the obvious sugary foods. You can eat plenty of fish, eggs, meat, veg, cheese, nuts and berries. You don't need to cut out carbs completely, just reduce if possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pegi

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Pegi

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Exercise doesn't have to mean going out. I have no clue of you current medical condition but even a few trips up and down the stairs ( if you have them ). As for diet, you can see a dietician but current NHS advice on food is not great to be honest. there are many threads on this forum and you will get different responses by different people. The one thing that most agree on however is to try to lower sugar/carb intake. This includes potato, bread, rice, pasta along with the obvious sugary foods. You can eat plenty of fish, eggs, meat, veg, cheese, nuts and berries. You don't need to cut out carbs completely, just reduce if possible.

Yes I use the stairs often, do I have to exclude bread, potatoes altogether ? Or just eat less ? Sorry for so many questions. I was put on propranolol ( beta blockers ) earlier this year for really bad anxiety that accompanied middle ear virus, I'm not sure how they affect exercise, would have to ask the Dr. I used to do a lot of stepping on a stepper machine before this. Thanks for your reply.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Yes I use the stairs often, do I have to exclude bread, potatoes altogether ? Or just eat less ? Sorry for so many questions. I was put on propranolol ( beta blockers ) earlier this year for really bad anxiety that accompanied middle ear virus, I'm not sure how they affect exercise, would have to ask the Dr. I used to do a lot of stepping on a stepper machine before this. Thanks for your reply.
There is no need to eliminate any food completely. Just try to cut down as much as possible. There are better varieties too, wholegrain or rye breads, wholemeal pasta etc.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had the tests carried out at home last Thursday morning by the district nurse. I was the first patient. She would then have to get all tests to the local hospital. The results of yours was very quick. Do you think I should phone my Dr's surgery for the results or will they get back to me ?

They won't have been processed at the hosital until the Friday and then the results sent through to the surgery on the Monday, so you should at least until tomorrow PM or Wednesday.

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi Pegi

Get a pedometer to help increase your exercise levels; if you can manage a workout DVD there are some fantastic ones around.

You should find that weight loss and increased exercise will help with the fatigue. It did me.

You have the chance to do something now before it gets worse. Go for it! You will be so glad you did!

Don't forget to let us know your results!
Good luck

Cara

Pegi

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Pegi

Get a pedometer to help increase your exercise levels; if you can manage a workout DVD there are some fantastic ones around.

You should find that weight loss and increased exercise will help with the fatigue. It did me.

You have the chance to do something now before it gets worse. Go for it! You will be so glad you did!

Don't forget to let us know your results!
Good luck

Cara

Thanks Cara,
Just done my BMI, I need to lose 1 stone and 4 pounds to be my ideal weight : (

How I'm going to manage this goodness knows, hubby needs to lose weight too.
I still have balance issues after the viral labyrinthitis. Do you think an exercise bike would help with exercise ?
I always thought we ate healthy.
I believe the fatigue is due to the virus I'm recovering from.
I'm willing to go for exercise and anything that will help now.
Pegi

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Disregard for authority. Noise.
an exercise bike is a good idea.. you'll be seated then and it will help your balance.

Pegi

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm going to get myself an exercise bike, I gave away the one I had about 2 yrs ago as I had no room for it, it was quite big so will look for a smaller one.

Pegi

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
an exercise bike is a good idea.. you'll be seated then and it will help your balance.

A change of topic....
DiamondAsh do you still wake up early mornings, every morning ? Did you mention in another thread that you go to bed earlier to compensate, I woke at 5 am this morning and though I went back to bed didn't sleep. I try to get to bed by 11 but was a bit later last night, perhaps I'll try going about 10.30.
Hope you don't mind me asking.
Thanks in advance.

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
A change of topic....
DiamondAsh do you still wake up early mornings, every morning ? Did you mention in another thread that you go to bed earlier to compensate, I woke at 5 am this morning and though I went back to bed didn't sleep. I try to get to bed by 11 but was a bit later last night, perhaps I'll try going about 10.30.
Hope you don't mind me asking.
Thanks in advance.
I've slipped back to retiring at between 11pm and 1am. I don't like that because I'm now waking up at 8.30 or later. I enjoy waking between 4 and 6 am.
When I first started reducing my BG levels I started waking at 3am regularly.. I didn;t go back to sleep but I would be shattered 8 hours later and would take another snooze. I suspect my body was adjusting to new hormonal changes as a result of lower BGs
When I was waking up at 4 am I was going to sleep at 7pm. I couldn't stay awake .. I was exhausted.
Good 'Look' with the exercise bike! There's a smaller contraption you can get with pedals on it and a handle bar but it's designed for use in an armchair!
:bookworm::)

Pegi

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I've slipped back to retiring at between 11pm and 1am. I don't like that because I'm now waking up at 8.30 or later. I enjoy waking between 4 and 6 am.
When I first started reducing my BG levels I started waking at 3am regularly.. I didn;t go back to sleep but I would be shattered 8 hours later and would take another snooze. I suspect my body was adjusting to new hormonal changes as a result of lower BGs
When I was waking up at 4 am I was going to sleep at 7pm. I couldn't stay awake .. I was exhausted.
Good 'Look' with the exercise bike! There's a smaller contraption you can get with pedals on it and a handle bar but it's designed for use in an armchair!
:bookworm::)

Those were the ideal retiring hours for me as I liked waking up around 8.30, I tried staying up until 1am to see if it would make any difference but it didn't, I still woke up around 4-30 to 5 am.
I'm not reducing my BG at the moment I don't think so unless I can think of a bedtime snack that doesn't involve carbs like in Oatibix, any suggestions most welcome . I'm shattered now and it's only 1.40 pm.
I'm going to take a snooze shortly, I must catch up whenever and wherever I can otherwise I'll be fast asleep in front of tv by 7pm.
I bought an exercise bike on Ebay this morning, it's a bit smaller than my previous one but should do the job. I have one of those armchair pedal ones, it's in the garage, had it years, it's not comfortable to use in a chair as the chair moves as you pedal. :)

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The body is a very delicate, finely tuned machine and is working away like a little factory whilst we sleep.There could be many different reasons why you wake early morning like that. My mom sleeps like that... but I tell her just to sleep when she can and get up when she wants to. She doesn't really burn that much energy throughout the day as she's in her 80s.
I'm glad you got your bike sorted.... You could find that losing a stone or so might just be the ticket to a better sleep and morning BG levels :)

Pegi

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The body is a very delicate, finely tuned machine and is working away like a little factory whilst we sleep.There could be many different reasons why you wake early morning like that. My mom sleeps like that... but I tell her just to sleep when she can and get up when she wants to. She doesn't really burn that much energy throughout the day as she's in her 80s.
I'm glad you got your bike sorted.... You could find that losing a stone or so might just be the ticket to a better sleep and morning BG levels :)[/quote

Hi again and thanks for replying.
My Dr thought the sleep problem would go away with anti depressants ( I wasn't complaining of depression by the way ) but I couldn't tolerate them, then it was a fortnight's supply of sleeping pills, I couldn't stick them either. The last resort was a blood test to check thyroid, glucose and haemoglobin, that is where the high glucose was detected.
I'm 66 and since I went down with bad viral labyrinthitis two weeks before Xmas I have very little energy since, couple that with sleep deprivation and as you can imagine I'm not much good for anything.
I presume your mom is diabetic ? I'm sad that I've lost the sleeping pattern I was so used to and having difficulty adapting to this early waking. Still not had the results of the glucose or HbA1c, tomorrow hopefully.

Pegi

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Hi again and thanks for replying. Sorry if this gets posted twice, slight hitch somewhere.
My Dr thought the sleep problem would go away with anti depressants ( I wasn't complaining of depression by the way ) but I couldn't tolerate them, then it was a fortnight's supply of sleeping pills, I couldn't stick them either. The last resort was a blood test to check thyroid, glucose and haemoglobin, that is where the high glucose was detected.
I'm 66 and since I went down with bad viral labyrinthitis two weeks before Xmas I have very little energy since, couple that with sleep deprivation and as you can imagine I'm not much good for anything.
I presume your mom is diabetic ? I'm sad that I've lost the sleeping pattern I was so used to and having difficulty adapting to this early waking. Still not had the results of the glucose or HbA1c, tomorrow hopefully.

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi again and thanks for replying. Sorry if this gets posted twice, slight hitch somewhere.
Yes, my mom has been diabetic for about 30 years.
I think your body is adjusting to something... You've had a virus thing in your ear and that can be very significant. It could have left you with something that is lingering. It'll be a process of elimination but you'll get it sorted in the end.
Waking suddenly out of a sleep can be a sign of depression. I'm on anti-deps and it happens to me sometimes.
When you get the results of your A1c test, that will put your mind at rest about BGs.
Let us know what it is, won't you, pls.

You had a thyroid test.. was that OK?

A

AnnieC

I aM
I keep waking early, this morning it was 4.40am, this early waking has been going on for weeks now every night.
I go to bed at 11pm to make sure I get some sleep.
I tested at this early hour and it was 6.4 this morning.
Reading back through the records I'm keeping, early morning tests are all similar, 6.5, 6.2 etc .

I'm as yet undiagnosed as I only had tests last Thursday so results of test and HBA1c not back yet. Does anyone know approx. how long the results of the HBA1c takes in the UK ?

During the day my readings are within acceptable levels according to what I've seen, though I'm no expert on the matter !

No doubt this topic has been discussed before but am a newbie and apologise if there is a thread about it somewhere else on the forum.
Many thanks in advance.[/quote

I am prediabetic and those levels are the about the same as I usually have before breakfast