Could my son have type 1 diabetes?

Amyj30

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My son is 5 years old.

He is obsessed with drinking. He literally always asks for drinks and even after playing at a friends house gets upset in the car because he says he’s so thirsty. He even has to have a drink during the night.

He is constantly hungry also.

He seems ok within himself, not unwell ect.

He’s definitely not underweight which I know is a sign? But the constant thirst, hunger and the odd complaint of tummy ache during the day. He also goes for a wee quite often? Could that be a sign?

Do children have ALL the symptoms if they have it? Or can they have just some of the symptoms?

Thanks

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My son is 5 years old.

He is obsessed with drinking. He literally always asks for drinks and even after playing at a friends house gets upset in the car because he says he’s so thirsty. He even has to have a drink during the night.

He’s definitely not underweight which I know is a sign? But the constant thirst, hunger and the odd complaint of tummy ache during the day. He also goes for a wee quite often? Could that be a sign?

Do children have ALL the symptoms if they have it? Or can they have just some of the symptoms?

Thanks

Hi Amy, I hope someone comes along to help but all I would say is take him to the Doctors if you are worried, it could be anything or nothing but even if someone on this site suspects diabetes etc, I would still take him to the Docs. With regard to symptoms, yes, you could have all of them, one of them or even none of them. Thirst and urination are possible symptoms but honestly, none of us would like to second guess things. Please let us know how you get on. x

Amyj30

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I will be taking him to get it checked out. I just wondered if children diagnosed with it had all the symptoms or just a few? I’ve heard stories where children or adults have lost lots of weight but he’s definitely not lost any and he’s not underweight x

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I will be taking him to get it checked out. I just wondered if children diagnosed with it had all the symptoms or just a few? I’ve heard stories where children or adults have lost lots of weight but he’s definitely not lost any and he’s not underweight x

Hi Amy, it must be worrying. Sorry, I don't have experience of children and diabetes but I'm sure others can help. x

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I think thirst is often one of the earliest signs. I was diagnosed very early (I had a T1 mother) just on the basis of thirst and needing to pee in the night. I used to keep urine testing strips in the house and whenever my children (now adult and non diabetic) got extra thirsty I'd test their urine just to be on the safe side.
But honestly, it could be anything or nothing. Your doctor will be able to check him out. I hope it's nothing, but if it is diabetes it's not the end of the world. Treatments these days are very much better than they were 50 years ago when I was diagnosed. Good luck.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My son is 5 years old.

Thanks

Hi,

I was diagnosed as a child.. (A couple of years older than your son.) Lost weight, unquenchable thirst, frequent urination. But I had no appetite. It was pretty much my 8th birthday & I didn't even want to touch the usual goodies on offer at such an occasions..

Get your lad to a doctor.

Good luck!

Reactions: Amyj30
D

Deleted Account

I was diagnosed as an adult. Nearly lost any weight.
No two people with type 1 diabetes are the same and we don’t all have the same symptoms regardless and of age.
I agree you should take your son to see a doctor.

Reactions: Amyj30

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
you sound like a concerned mother doing her best............get him checked at gp to be safe.

Amyj30

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve been the gp. A urine sample was checked and no sugar in it so guessing that’s a good sign! Thank you everyone for your comments x

Reactions: himtoo and Jaylee