Could switching insulin have such an impact?

jodysd6

I have been using apidra in my pump for the last 7 or 8 years and prior to that humalog. I tried the apidra initially in the hope it would help with post meal spikes which it didn't seem to but just continued it anyway. I have really struggled to get decent numbers, I went low carb which helped but I slipped and despite lots of input from DSN and dietician I was still struggling with huge spikes and corrections taking a long time to work, and also needing to pre-bolus by up to 45mins-1hr.

Anyway last week I was stupid and managed to run out of insulin and realised on Friday evening. A local friend gave me a vial of Novorapid to keep me going until I could sort getting more apidra, but I have seen a dramatic improvement in my blood sugar, it's a massive difference! Barely needing to pre-bolus but still only tiny spikes, actual reduction in amount of insulin needed and just staying so steady, it has never been this good in years! But could it really be a change in insulin? Surely they are not that different! If it is it's amazing but I don't know if it's just a coincidence! What would prompt you try a different insulin? Should I just ask GP to change prescription? The only other thing is that I go away in 8 days and my blood sugars are so good but I don't think I'd get in to see GP before I go so would have to go back to apidra and if it is the insulin that is causing the improvement I'd rather not be struggling again if it's as simple as switching!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Why not try changing for a trial period? That's what I'd do try to compare the insulins.

Different insulins suit different people :)

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @jodysd6
ultimately as the patient you are in charge of your treatment and I think you should push for the change based on your post.
most likely you will still have a supply of apidra in the fridge to take should you feel the need to change back.

i would ring the surgery and ask for a GP call back -- he can then write the prescription from the phone call without you having to be seen
( or same thing with the diabetes nurse at your GP )

or another option -- ring to your hospital DSN and discuss with her -- she can get the prescription changed for you as well.

keep us posted !!:)

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Should I just ask GP to change prescription?

Why not, the change in insulin has obviously produced great results.

Although we don't see these type of posts/threads very often there has been members who have changed insulins and seen positive results (much like you have @jodysd6).