Could this be diabetes/prediabetes?

NEB2021

I've been having some symptoms the past few days that made me wonder whether I might have the start of diabetes (lots of type 1 in my paternal family, although no direct ancestors ), but they don't seem to quite add up, as the symptoms suggest hypo, but my blood sugar readings are a little high.

For several days I've woken up feeling a bit shaky and weak
Yesterday I had a very light breakfast and a light lunch, and by mid-afternoon I felt very weak and shaky. By the time I finished work I felt like the periphery of my world was fuzzy and disappearing (I know that sounds weird, but I can't explain it properly!). I got home and ate a banana and a big dinner, and I gradually felt better, but it took hours to feel anything like normal.
This morning I felt shaky again and so hubby tested by blood glucose first thing before I ate (we're both first aiders and so are trained to use them). I got a reading of 104 (or 5.8 mmol). I did some research and for a fasting blood sugar this seems to be in the range for prediabetes, although at the lower end of it.
I then tested again 2 hours after breakfast, although I must confess that I had a snack within those two hours, and got a reading of 114 (or 6.3). Again, this seems to be in the range of prediabetes, but I'm aware the snack will have likely skewed the results.
I also have a headache and feel a bit flushed and dozy today, although I have no idea whether that is related or a coincidence.

The thing that is confusing me is that the symptoms seem more akin to low blood sugar. I don't have any of the classic symptoms like excessive thirst, frequent urination, or excessive tiredness.

I will try and see my GP, but I couldn't get an appointment today, and I have an exam tomorrow, so it won't be until Friday at the earliest.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I then tested again 2 hours after breakfast, although I must confess that I had a snack within those two hours, and got a reading of 114 (or 6.3).

Numbers are fine, especially cause you snacked within the 2 hour window.
The slightly high fasting reading could be down to the meter (+/-15% accurate) or could be down to you being under stress & unwell.

refaella

i had for the first time my hba1c within the normal range and my GP stopped immediately my medications. although I keep getting high and very often very high glucose readings two hours after food I also feel neuropathy in my lower and upper limbs, my feet, hands, severe cramps in my legs, aches, and pains all over, general malaise. since GP stopped the medications that I have taken for the last 35 years, I have become terribly unwell. she just said that the most important factor is the hba1c and not the daily readings are meaningless

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
HI @refaella , I am sorry you are having so much trouble. Would you like your own thread to talk about your issues?