1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Counter Weight-plus

Discussion in 'Weight Loss and Dieting' started by Hibby65, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Hibby65

Hibby65 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Had my annual Diabetic checkup today and it was suggested that l consider the Counter Weight-plus Programme as a kickstart to weight loss and a New healthier diet / lifestyle.

It’s NHS Lothian in Scotland that told me about it

Anyone any experience of this program?

2. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Expert

From a Google, it's basically the Newcastle Diet i.e a restricted calorie diet. I've no idea if this one uses shakes or real food.

3. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

Counterweight plus is the NHS application of the Newcastle diet. It's primarily shakes from an oddly founded company registered in Wales...they are very bad at answering requests for information and have little to no social media presence.
    @Hibby65 what are you currently eating?

4. Hibby65

Currently eating all the wrong stuff, been on low carb, Atkins, Scottish Slimmers, diets l’ve made up myself. Typical yo-yo dieter.

5. bulkbiker

Personally I'd give very low carb another go and try not to fall off the wagon for a month before starving myself with shakes..
    Meat , eggs, fish, green veg, cheese. Cream in coffee and tea. After 30 days you should be lighter and have overcome most addiction issues. What's a month for health?

6. Hibby65

Hi did the Low Carb diet about a year and a half ago and quite enjoyed it (got sick of eggs near the end of my stint) ended up with an ambulance trip to hospital with gallbladder problems - then sepsis then kidney failures. Docs told me to stop the low carb diet as they felt it did not help and possibly contributed to my initial gallbladder problem. Must admit I wasnt going to argue took me a good couple of months to recover. Mind you lost about 1 1/2 stones in the space of 2 weeks.

7. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

You have had a rough time, @Hibby65 . Have you had your gallbladder removed?

I used the prototype to the Counterweight method 8 years ago, when it was still in the experimental phase. I achieved a weightloss of 49k, over a few months, though some of that found me again. I did achieve non-diabetes blood glucose readings within the first week, and have managed to maintain those, apart from a few months last year when I needed steroid medication for another condition.
    It wasn’t difficult to adhere to the meal replacements. I did not feel hungry after the first two days, and felt well and alert with lots of energy.
    The most difficult part was the social situations. They usually involve food, and although my nearest and dearest were supportive of what I was doing, it is amazing how many people seem to want you to conform to the eating of junk food at buffets. So, I would suggest being careful about who you choose to tell about your diet.

Something really important, that was not mentioned to me, is that you should include some green veg and a spoonful of oil to the diet. This prevents gallstones developing. Though that may not be applicable if you have no gall bladder.

Also, as the calorie restriction phase is for a relatively short period, it is important to have a follow on eating plan. This will be for life. Counterweight, (aka Newcastle diet) is by no means a quick fix. If you go back to old eating habits you will regain weight.
    I wish you success.

8. bulkbiker

Doubt it was your low carb diet that caused the gall bladder problem in the first place.
    Screenshot 2019-04-24 at 18.50.47.png

This just popped up on my twitter feed... spooky..

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Hibby65

Cheers everyone, no because I developed sepsis the gallbladder wasn’t removed. Eventually got over it all but took a year to get the all clear. Any thanks for taking the time to reply your support is appreciated

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

As you still have gallbladder it would be wise to include some oil in your diet.
    https://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/understanding-gallstones-prevention

You might want to discuss with the doc who recommended the Counterweight regime.
    Not trying to persuade you to do an alternative, just passing on info I learnt too late.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook