Type 2 Counting carbs

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
differing opinion on this but................I count every last blessed one of em :)

Reactions: 4 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
differing opinion on this but................I count every last blessed one of em :)
I've found that I'm far too busy to do everything that carb counting, calorie counting, fat intake, blood sugars at least nine times a day, cooking and shopping for six to eight meals a day, do the chores, look after the wife, keep a food diary, etc.
Then do a part time job to pay the bills!
And finally, have some time to answer questions on the forum.
Whilst listening to my music and watching footie on the television.
Or going the match when Rovers are at home!
So I believe, that justifies my absorbing myself at carb counting!

However, my lifestyle is now so regimented, that I know that the amount of carbs I do consume, still keeps me in ketosis!

Reactions: 2 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I've found that I'm far too busy to do everything that carb counting, calorie counting, fat intake, blood sugars at least nine times a day, cooking and shopping for six to eight meals a day, do the chores, look after the wife, keep a food diary, etc.
Then do a part time job to pay the bills!
And finally, have some time to answer questions on the forum.
Whilst listening to my music and watching footie on the television.
Or going the match when Rovers are at home!
So I believe, that justifies my absorbing myself at carb counting!

However, my lifestyle is now so regimented, that I know that the amount of carbs I do consume, still keeps me in ketosis!
I count em but most are ingrained within the brain so only takes a few seconds ( probably much like your good self )

becky.ford93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been wondering about this myself recently. On a carb counting course I was told the only veg I needed to count for were peas, sweet corn and then root vegetables. But if I'm having a large portion of Mediterranean vegetables, tomatoes or carrots I've taken to add g a couple grammes for those too (though I've been told they're so slow burning you shouldn't need to worry)

Reactions: 2 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignore the dietician and count em all young lady :) --LOL you know i am good for my info i hope ;)

Reactions: 5 people

Evie_May

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All advice gratefully received - very new to this as only diagnosed last month..
Shopping takes ages as I read all the labels.

Reactions: 3 people

newest

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cricket
I was told by the dieticion only count pasta,rice,bread and potatoe, the big four she said, don't worry about veg, you can eat as much of that as you like, I found to my cost that no you can't, you need to count it all. I have now seen such an improvement. hope you get things sorted, it's a minefield trying to work everything out, but you will get there.

Reactions: 6 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Beware the dieticians. I think the point they are trying to make is that fibre is good for you and so are low-GI carbs. True that they are absorbed more slowly, but they are still largely absorbed although some may go right thru. You can't just eat as much as you want and they need to be counted. Use your meter which will prove the point.

Scottish Mum

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
I count them all, but use myfitnesspal to track as it contains almost every food known to man, both natural and processed, and is very quick to do. I've relaxed my carb count now that I know which foods do what to me, but I keep to under 100 - 150 a day, and most of those come from fruit, which is the one food I really struggled with the limitations on very low carb. I know which fruits I can eat with minimal spike now though, which does make a difference.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
also it depends on the effect of the carb on your sugar level. In my experience my body copes very differently to vegetable carbs than it does with grain carbs. It's a pain in the butt. So carb counting means nothing to me if I'm having a hypo an hour later because I bolus'd for the carb intake but then I'm having to stuff my face because I'm sitting on 3.1 when I've already eaten. I also can swing the other way and hyper on the same vegetables. My dietician recommended the best workaround to that is mixing the carb type in your meal. I think we're all different though... but that is definitely something I've had problems with and I have to say I don't trust vegetable carbs as a result.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are watching your carb intake it is essential to count them from every source. I even count the negligible carbs in my 1T of cream I have in my coffee as it all adds up.