Covid 19 and controlled diabetes

MTS1980

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello does anyone know the chances of getting severely sick from covid if you are 40 years old and maintain a Hb1ac of 6.1 and what are the chances I’m not obese slightly overweight regards

MTS1980

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Plus do you need to stop metformin if you get sick ???? Or you can keep taking metformin ???

MTS1980

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can anyone reply ?? All your inputs are greatly needed

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

No-one knows..

But

You are younger than most of the seriously ill.. your HbA1c is reasonable and presumably you are in generally good health?

In that case you are probably no more or less likely to get ill than anyone else in society.

Reactions: MTS1980

MTS1980

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I am ok generally speaking my good sir but I read on one internet article that uncomplicated diabetes is also very problematic so I am concerned about that any info regarding that ? any info on the mortality rate with uncomplicated diabetes ???

Robert_D

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates and lack of testing strips being supplied due to NICE rules.
Hello does anyone know the chances of getting severely sick from covid if you are 40 years old and maintain a Hb1ac of 6.1 and what are the chances I’m not obese slightly overweight regards

Hi MTS1980 Sorry for hijacking your thread but if it helps I posted my experience of surviving Covid post ICU/Ventilator and spike in BG being diet only controlled last month (April) that may possibly assist you and your question.
It is only my personal journey mind of this terrible disease.Stay safe

MTS1980

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ur right and the article is very informative but it doesn’t say anything to Point out what happens if you have good control over diabetes /age/other illnesses but thank u so much

Suz2

The chances of getting COVID 19 depends on exposure to someone that has the virus, first of all. If you are being reasonably careful, your chances of even getting the virus drop dramatically. You do have risk factors because you are diabetic. IF you contract the virus, your use of any medications should be taken up with your nurse/doctor. The killer with this virus is respiratory failure/compromise and fever. You don't list any lung problems-smoker, asthma, COPD, etc. so all of that is working in your favor.

Be reasonably protective of who you see and how much contact you have with others and you may never contract the virus. If you do, you are young enough with only one stated risk factor.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Your age, normal ish blood sugars, lack of obesity are in your favour assuming you are not hypertensive and do not have other co morbidities.
I think the higher bgs do increase both chances of getting infected but more critically your response to any infection. As I understand it it's not the virus that causes the serious problems but a massive over reaction to it by your immune system. One way to know if you have problems with your immune system is to look at your c reactive protein levels which are usually taken on a standard blood test.

MTS1980

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your age, normal ish blood sugars, lack of obesity are in your favour assuming you are not hypertensive and do not have other co morbidities.
I think the higher bgs do increase both chances of getting infected but more critically your response to any infection. As I understand it it's not the virus that causes the serious problems but a massive over reaction to it by your immune system. One way to know if you have problems with your immune system is to look at your c reactive protein levels which are usually taken on a standard blood test.

No sir I am not hypertensive so what’s your suggestion yes it’s a very common test c reactive protein should I get it ??? and what should be the course ahead ??

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No sir I am not hypertensive so what’s your suggestion yes it’s a very common test c reactive protein should I get it ??? and what should be the course ahead ??
I think it is likely you've had this tested whenever you've had your last bloods panel done. See CRP.
What is it you are trying to decide about ? I assume you are doing the basic social distancing and hand washing?
I am not saying that all diabetics have high levels of chronic inflammation but that can be the case.
Apart from the basics, I think you can eat whole foods low in carb, get a walk in the sun and sleep well!
\If it is a question of to work or not to work then that's your call. Personally as a reasonably heaalthy 49 year old female type 1, I would if only I could (gym is closed and will be the last sector to re open).
\There are some indications that getting a bit more vitamin D and zine can also boost your immune system preferably from food and sunshine.

MTS1980

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think it is likely you've had this tested whenever you've had your last bloods panel done. See CRP.
What is it you are trying to decide about ? I assume you are doing the basic social distancing and hand washing?
I am not saying that all diabetics have high levels of chronic inflammation but that can be the case.
Apart from the basics, I think you can eat whole foods low in carb, get a walk in the sun and sleep well!
\If it is a question of to work or not to work then that's your call. Personally as a reasonably heaalthy 49 year old female type 1, I would if only I could (gym is closed and will be the last sector to re open).
\There are some indications that getting a bit more vitamin D and zine can also boost your immune system preferably from food and sunshine.

I run my own business so no I am Not deciding about work yes I practise social distancing I just have a bad case of cabin fever and that’s raising my anxiety I dont Want to stay home and I want to go out my life isn’t normal anymore I just want to get back to my routine so calculating my risk I knew few doctors so I will get crp test done yes I walk everyday never miss it I keep hearing everyday diabetes is a risk factor so I decided to find out on my own the doctor I asked or I know they don’t know new beast they say well thank u so much for helping me I wish you only the best in Life thank you for your kindness I wish I could do something in return but not very knowledgeable plus we have different tests where I live regards