Type 1 Covid 19 and diatbetes

scottdavio

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
politicians- Thai hospitals
Why is it said those with diabetes will be affected more than those without ?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

T1 is an autoimmune disorder so some of us have less ability to fight disease.

Many diabetics also have other conditions (like asthma) which make Covid-19 more difficult to stop as it affects respiratory organs.

Reactions: wobbles

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions

"Individuals with diabetes are at increased risk of several pulmonary conditions (asthma, COPD, fibrosis, and pneumonia) but not lung cancer. This increased risk may be a consequence of declining lung function in patients with diabetes.

Chronic complications of diabetes include a number of pathological changes that involve small and large blood vessels, cranial and peripheral nerves, the skin, and the retina of the eye. The lung is also a target organ for diabetic microangiopathy in patients with both type 1 and type 2 diabetes (1), and decrements in lung function have been reported among patients with diabetes over the past two decades (2–9).

Decrements in the lung function of patients with diabetes are believed to be the consequence of biochemical alterations in the connective tissue constituents of the lung, particularly collagen and elastin, as well as microangiopathy due to the nonenzymatic glycosylation of proteins induced by chronic hyperglycemia (8,10). Alterations in collagen and elastin and microangiopathy result in thickening of the alveolar epithelial basal lamina, leading to reduced pulmonary capacity for the diffusion of carbon monoxide "

https://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/33/1/55

Old article but still relevant I think.

Diabetes effects the whole body including the lungs and covid 19 causes pneumonia.

Reactions: wobbles

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
T1 is an autoimmune disorder so some of us have less ability to fight disease.

Many diabetics also have other conditions (like asthma) which make Covid-19 more difficult to stop as it affects respiratory organs.

I somehow thought that as a type 1 my immune system was too strong .. was the reason I got type 1. I almost never get cold or ill.

Reactions: ert

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I somehow thought that as a type 1 my immune system was too strong .. was the reason I got type 1. I almost never get cold or ill.

Our immune systems are malfunctioning and are attacking healthy tissue. This is why insulin producing cells in the pancreas get killed off.

So my understanding is that the ability of the immune system to identify an intruding organism (or virus) and attack it may be reduced.

I can't say why you seldom get colds or flu but autoimmune disorders are generally regarded as a sign of having a weak immune system - but hey, I'm no expert and there may be some more knowledgeable people around here.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
It does not mean your immune system is weak the problem is it starts to regard and target your own cells as if they are foreign thats why I have to take medication to suppress my immune system to try and stop it doing that with me it's the receptors for acetylcholine on the muscles that are attacked.

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Our immune systems are malfunctioning and are attacking healthy tissue. This is why insulin producing cells in the pancreas get killed off.

So my understanding is that the ability of the immune system to identify an intruding organism (or virus) and attack it may be reduced.

I can't say why you seldom get colds or flu but autoimmune disorders are generally regarded as a sign of having a weak immune system - but hey, I'm no expert and there may be some more knowledgeable people around here.

ok I see. Malfunctioning for sure :-D
I’ve never called in sick at work for 15+ years exception of one day I had a hangover from drinking too much night before

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Because we have type 1 diabetes, it doesn't necessarily mean we will get all the viruses and bugs that are going around, whether minor or major. Some get whatever is going around and other's rarely get anything. because we are all different.

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It does not mean your immune system is weak the problem is it starts to regard and target your own cells as if they are foreign thats why I have to take medication to suppress my immune system to try and stop it doing that with me it's the receptors for acetylcholine on the muscles that are attacked.
I think it’s an interesting topic. I would be glad to hear that type 1 or having an autoimmune condition doesn’t necessarily mean your immune system is weak. There is this generally accepted conception that Type 1 (or type 2) are prone to sickness in general but I’m not sure.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
There are several references available on the web about autoimmune disorders being associated with weak immune systems - and perhaps it's actually the other way around, a weak immune system gives rise to autoimmune disorders?

A cut and paste:-

The other symptoms of a weak immune system can include the following:
  • autoimmune disorders
  • inflammation of the internal organs
  • blood disorders or abnormalities, such as anemia
  • digestive issues, including loss of appetite, diarrhea, and abdominal cramping
  • growth and developmental delays in infants and children
Source:-
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/324930#symptoms

Reactions: michita

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I think it’s an interesting topic. I would be glad to hear that type 1 or having an autoimmune condition doesn’t necessarily mean your immune system is weak. There is this generally accepted conception that Type 1 (or type 2) are prone to sickness in general but I’m not sure.
It’s high blood sugars that make us more vulnerable, not the diagnosis itself, I think. I think of my immune system as not weak, just misguided...

Reactions: michita

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Misguided for sure too. I feel a bit sad when people think diabetes mean we get sick easily so I’m happy to hear otherwise:-D