Covid 19 and working

Lucyturner

This is a tough time for me and I'm sure there are other people out there in similar situations. I'm type 1 diabetic on insulin pump therapy. I work at the hospital as a Health Care Assistant. The team I work on is Multi Area
Support so I can work on any ward they need me on. I am being very careful and following all the hospital guidelines for protecting myself. But I am currently having appointments with the diabetes nurse and dietitian as for some reason when I got a new pump my bloods have been out of control. My concern is that we are being told to self isolate as bring high risk but working at the hospital I'm needed more than ever so I just don't know what to do. Do I continue working and be at risk or do I self isolate when I am needed so much more? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks everyone.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Lucyturner . Unfortunately only you can make the decision.
Personally I would want good BS levels at the current time and would definitely want to be in a position where I could undertake bolus correction doses to avoid DKA. If you’re struggling with your pump this could be an additional problem you could do with out if you took I’ll.
Could you revert back to MDI if that was easier for you to manage, if only for the near future?
I’ll tag @LooperCat . I believe that she has had to make a similar decision recently and may offer more.
For the record I’d just like to award you a “ Top Banana “ award for doing a sterling job so far in extremely difficult circumstances.
Stay safe, stay strong.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @Lucyturner :) I’m also T1, on a pump and work on healthcare - a student paramedic currently on study leave as uni is closed and now working for the trust as a non emergency patient transport driver. So like you, frontline and patient-facing. As type ones, we’re not being told to self isolate, but to be stringent about social distancing, and even that isn’t really possible for either of us...

I’m a little concerned that you’re having problems with your levels though, as hyperglycaemia suppresses the immune system quite significantly. That does put you at more risk of the virus hitting you harder than someone with non-diabetic levels. Have you tried basal testing to make sure your pump is set right? There’s a good guide on the MySugr website. Maybe take a week or two to get your levels where you want them, and then go back fighting fit?

I personally felt there was little point in me hiding at home because my husband is a postal worker, and would no doubt bring it home from work anyway - they don’t have the benefit of clinical conditions down there!

I hope you find a solution you’re comfortable with - this is going to be a marathon, not a sprint. A few weeks out to get yourself sorted won’t make a great deal of difference over the next 9-12 months. You can’t give to anyone else if your own cup is empty.

Lucyturner

@Lucyturner . Unfortunately only you can make the decision.
Personally I would want good BS levels at the current time and would definitely want to be in a position where I could undertake bolus correction doses to avoid DKA. If you’re struggling with your pump this could be an additional problem you could do with out if you took I’ll.
Could you revert back to MDI if that was easier for you to manage, if only for the near future?
I’ll tag @LooperCat . I believe that she has had to make a similar decision recently and may offer more.
For the record I’d just like to award you a “ Top Banana “ award for doing a sterling job so far in extremely difficult circumstances.
Stay safe, stay strong.
Thanks for this. I have continued to work but I am currently in an administrative role. I am due to go back on the wards next week. My manager took me off the wards for 2 weeks due to my blood sugars dropping. They seem to have settled down now though. I can't deny that I am nervous about this, but this is my job and I love it, I am speaking to my manager tomorrow to make sure that i am as safe as I can be and I will take it from there. Thanks for your advice and support.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Lucyturner . That’s good news that your sugars have become more stable.
My wife is also an HCA, has been for 20 yrs+ and is currently treating positive covid patients on the wards.
I’m sure that you’re well aware of how well the NHS is coping. It’s people like you and my wife that are going above and beyond for all of us.
My wife works on the banking , so could easily not go to work until things settle down but like you she loves her job and feels it’s her duty to “ be there”. There has been a few difficult shifts but nonetheless things have improved and she now feels far more comfortable being around the patients.
As for me. Well I realise that even though I am currently furloughed from work I am in a high risk situation with my wife being in the current environment. Is this a concern? Definitely not. I think being type 1 gives us a strong resolution not to be knocked down so easily. We’re fighters , we have to be , if we were not fighters then diabetes would get us far easier than covid.
Stay strong, stay safe and thank you for the great job you’re doing.