urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Resurrecting this thread as there's an interesting article in today's Guardian.

CoolUserName

Resurrecting this thread as there's an interesting article in today's Guardian.
That is very interesting , thank you for drawing attention to it. I read something about transdifferentiation of beta cells somewhere else recently, maybe a linked research paper.

It would be interesting to see if the people who developed T1D after covid predominantly have a genetic predisposition that was triggered to cause transdifferentiation.

(edited by mod)

Last edited by a moderator:

Doug88

I’ve been reading up about this, after myself being diagnosed Type 1 last month, age 37. I may have had COVID and been asymptomatic, or just had mild symptoms (I had a period of fatigue and a light cough early last summer, but was never tested).
I’ll never know, but I’ll be watching it closely. A poster on another forum I’m on - not a diabetes one - said her friend developed T1 following a mild case of COVID. She was in her 30s too.

Just to add one more, my T1D onset was in the first spring of COVID following what I thought was a throat infection but now think might have been COVID (who knows though - i mean a persistant cough isn't exactly something out of the ordinary with a throat infrection). This was before antigen tests were widely available and by the time they were widespread, I think there'd have been plenty chance for me to have asymptomatic COVID too.

I'm not too bothered finding out for sure for my own sake - doesn't really change anything. But I do think that it would be useful information for people/governments considering whether we should just learn to live with the disease in our population.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That is very interesting , thank you for drawing attention to it. I read something about transdifferentiation of beta cells somewhere else recently, maybe a linked research paper.

It would be interesting to see if the people who developed T1D after covid predominantly have a genetic predisposition that was triggered to cause transdifferentiation.
Most of the adult onset type 1s in my local group developed the condition following on from a bout of illness or stress (known pre cursors to type 1) so I doubt Covid is unique in triggering an autoimmune response that then goes awry.

(edited by mod)

Last edited by a moderator:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

Multiple posts in this thread have been deleted or edited.
Please make sure to stay on topic in this thread.

Thanks in advance!

siriusblack

don’t know if this means anything, but i got covid in march and was diagnosed as t1d july 12th.
there is no known previous history of it in my family.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all,

Multiple posts in this thread have been deleted or edited.
Please make sure to stay on topic in this thread.

Thanks in advance!
For our clarity, and because we can't see the bits of our posts that have been edited or delted, please can you comment on the forum policy in this regard?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
For our clarity, and because we can't see the bits of our posts that have been edited or delted, please can you comment on the forum policy in this regard?
From our forum ethos and rules, which can be found here: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/community-ethos-forum-rules.50278/

"C2. Threads going off-topic are likely to be edited, removed or locked to further replies. Please keep threads on-topic. If you have additional questions, start a new thread - you can tag the user you want to talk to."

Any further questions will have to be taken to PM, as your post is completely off topic.