Covid and crazy insulin requirements

Markca91

Hi All,

I read forum on regular basis but this is my first time posting.

I got diagnosed with Covid a few days ago. Since it started, my requirements for rapid insulin went absolutely crazy.

I need literally 4-5 times more insulin than when I didn't have covid. I am using apidra as rapid insulin and I would usually take 1 unit for 10 grams of carbs. Now, I need 5 units for 10 grams of carbs. I ate 80 grams of carbs and had to take 40 units (i did it 4 times 10 units over a period of one hour or so) to balance my glucose level.

Did this happen to anyone else?

Other than this, my fasting glucose is slightly up (2-3mmol more than usual, it was around 6, now it is around 8-9) but it is relatively stable. The only major issue is that rapid insulin is almost not working.

Btw, I tried 3 different pens, so nothing is wrong with the insulin itself. I hoped that insulin in one pen was bad, but unfortunately that is not the case.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hope you will be feeling well soon and yes it is amazing how much extra glucose we chug out from our livers during infection and how much our cells resist the uptake of same . This isn't unique to Covid 19 either.
Just watch out when your bolus needs suddenly reduce. Hope the basal has gone up too.