Covid - blood levels

pinkfoot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed with Covid on Sunday, went for a test after losing my sense of smell and taste. A week or so prior to this I had small spikes after eating my normal diet - readings going up to 8.2.

Now I've got the lurgy, my average for the last seven days is 5.6 - I've had great fasting figures too

Question to you lovely lot, please. In general do sugars go up or down when you are ill, or is it different for everybody?

Ta

Kev

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I was diagnosed with Covid on Sunday, went for a test after losing my sense of smell and taste. A week or so prior to this I had small spikes after eating my normal diet - readings going up to 8.2.

Now I've got the lurgy, my average for the last seven days is 5.6 - I've had great fasting figures too

Question to you lovely lot, please. In general do sugars go up or down when you are ill, or is it different for everybody?

Ta

Kev

Yes, levels generally go up when you catch a virus. Your immune system needs its own energy to fight the virus and glucose is the source of that energy. So your liver pumps out more glucose to feed your immune system.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Ta

Kev
Covid is a weird one. Normally blood sugars spike when ill, but with covid, and even with the jabs, blood sugars can drop, even to hypo levels in the unmedicated. (Couple of hypos after my jabs that I remember/caught on my meter, did feel off and liver dump didn't kick in when it should have). So blood sugar management can be tricky. There's been reports of blood sugars skyrocketing for more than a year after infection, others drop low for some time... So keep your strip-supply up to date.

I hope you'll feel better soon!
Hugs,
Jo