Covid could be causing diabetes - news report

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I imagine most of those patients were on heavy dose steroids during their hospital treatment. Could this be a major reason?

Reactions: jjraak

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Or could it be the undiagnosed are finally starting to appear when hospitalised..

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I imagine most of those patients were on heavy dose steroids during their hospital treatment. Could this be a major reason?
Your blood sugars go up immensely in response to any viral attack and steroids but the only way to know would be to check insulin production post recovery. Another possibility is that these patients were undiagnosed diabetics who only got tested when already ill in hospital.
I do have pals who got diabetes as a consequence of an autoimmune response to a virus that nuked their beta cells so this isn't just a covid thing if that what is being claimed.
As always more research needed to unpick it all!

Reactions: oldgreymare

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have read that a viral infection mainly with covid will cause inflammation which is a precursor to diabetes. The body is disrupted by the amount of load you contract, if you have a tendency toward diabetes or are prediabetic the likelihood that type two is inevitable has been looked at.
This is why the usual spiel about obesity with covid is really bad.
It's not but can be a factor.

Stay safe

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
One theory about the cause of Type 1 is viral infection so I am not surprised about the reference to T1.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Guessing whether its T1 autoimmune issues brought about by COVID or just newly diagnosed T2 with loads of insulin being produced?

This is only supposition on my part..

What if the cellular uptake of Blood sugar gets stopped or slowed down with the presence of a "pathogen" in the blood too?
The body's defence memchanism closed the "boarders." (The virus ain't sneaking in.) Hence the elevated BGs.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do have pals who got diabetes as a consequence of an autoimmune response to a virus that nuked their beta cells so this isn't just a covid thing if that what is being claimed

This was a question posed to a Consultant at a recent type 1 course. He said that type 1 COULD be caused by a virus but they cannot say for sure. It's like the Covid association I suppose, nobody can say 100%. Did these friends are yours get 100% clarification?, that's interesting.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This was a question posed to a Consultant at a recent type 1 course. He said that type 1 COULD be caused by a virus but they cannot say for sure. It's like the Covid association I suppose, nobody can say 100%. Did these friends are yours get 100% clarification?, that's interesting.
Sorry I should have been more precise. We were chatting about how their type 1 diagnosis had come about and it was striking to me that the majority were not the classic type 1 diagnosis upon onset of puberty (like me) but their diagnosis came after a an illness or other stress and were told that this was likely an autoimmune response to the preceding illness or stressor I assume this is epigenetic given the weak link in families. I find it interesting that after so long nobody seems to know exactly what triggers this autoimmune response that leads to the destruction of our beta cells.

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There’s a Covidiab live register that’s run by Kings Collage to investigate the relationship between covid & diabetes diagnosis.

Had I been able to get a covid test in March I would have joined the register. I’ll never know if covid caused my diabetes but I do believe there is some relationship even if it just sped up the process & deterioration.

I don’t think type 1 can just be considered a young slim persons diagnosis these days. More people are being diagnosed over 30 & over weight which suggests there’s another trigger out there. I already had one autoimmune disease and now I have two.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry I should have been more precise. We were chatting about how their type 1 diagnosis had come about and it was striking to me that the majority were not the classic type 1 diagnosis upon onset of puberty (like me) but their diagnosis came after a an illness or other stress and were told that this was likely an autoimmune response to the preceding illness or stressor I assume this is epigenetic given the weak link in families. I find it interesting that after so long nobody seems to know exactly what triggers this autoimmune response that leads to the destruction of our beta cells.

Thanks for posting! This subject does fascinate me, I have NO idea how I got it (although my Mum had it too), can't recall any viruses and am rarely poorly. Again on that course one of the presenters said it could even be because of living near an airport, not that I do though!!!!! When pressed for an explanation it seemed a bit weak but who knows!!!! and I was 56...menopause maybe (albeit a straight forward non eventual one).

Guna108

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had got my b.g down to about 5.6 (from 9.5) and the Dr took me off Metformin a year after diagnosis. My first HbA1c check after not taking meds was 5.7, but since getting Covid my b.g has been between 6.1 and 6.7. Today was fasting 7.6. Not sure why as my diet is still the same.

Sophieg

I got diagnosed after having covid. I was not in hospital though close to it when I phoned 111 about struggling to breath they said I was ok as I had no chest pain even when i said my hands and feet were turning purple. I was given antibiotics by the gp over the phone as they thought I had an infection. I was still having problems over 3 months later and a blood test showed up high blood sugar and after a second blood test diagnosed with diabetes. They do not know if I had diabetes before covid and i did not know or if covid set off the diabetes. They also say I might be suffering from long covid as well as the high blood sugar .